Home

Sky? What Sky?

Kevin Anderson

Anyone else with a Radeon 8500 having 'sky' problems in Jedi Knight 2? I've read other posts complaining about the lack of moving sky, but I have none at all! Just a big bright white or yellow patch. It's most noticeable at the beginning of the Bespin level. I've tried various driver sets but with no success. Anyone experiencing anything similar, or know of a solution? Runs fine apart from this little problem..

Well there's a thread devoted to sky problems with NVIDIA cards, but no mention of ATI troubles. First of all, do you have the latest driver for your card? If you do, maybe you need an older driver. Also, I would just try reducing the graphics settings and playing around with that a bit.

I have a fix that might work for you. Some drivers seem to switch the sky to the simple mode. But in JO, the simple mode = NO sky.

When you load up JO, hit shift+tilde to get the console. Then enter this command:

r_fastsky "0"

If you enter this command mid game, you may need to enter the following command to restart your video:

vid_restart

Hope this helps,

-ds

Originally posted by P h o e n i x

what exactly does that do? does it make the skies very basic? or something else?

If the r_fastsky variable is set to "0", you are using the high quality sky. The reason people are having problems is because many video drivers will automatically set the r_fastsky to "1"... which causes the sky to be VERY basic.

(Think of the 1's and 0's as true/false and it makes more sense.)

-ds

Originally posted by dansolo

If the r_fastsky variable is set to "0", you are using the high quality sky. The reason people are having problems is because many video drivers will automatically set the r_fastsky to "1"... which causes the sky to be VERY basic.

(Think of the 1's and 0's as true/false and it makes more sense.)

-ds

oh, ok, thanks. i guess i should've realized the whole '1' and '0' thing. also good thing to know i'm not missing out on anything

Archived