Home

Server also has to have the file?

Zaccix

It seems that, according to this thread, if someone wants to use a new skin, sound or model online, the server has to have the same file loaded or else the custom object won't work.

Those of us who've played Unreal Tournament will know that it deals with custom skins and models in the same way, but they never really went into widespread use online (except on clan servers).

I understand that Raven may have done it this way for cheat protection, but I just hope it doesn't slow down the JK2 modding community.

Originally posted by Zaccix

It seems that, according to this thread, if someone wants to use a new skin, sound or model online, the server has to have the same file loaded or else the custom object won't work.

Those of us who've played Unreal Tournament will know that it deals with custom skins and models in the same way, but they never really went into widespread use online (except on clan servers).

I understand that Raven may have done it this way for cheat protection, but I just hope it doesn't slow down the JK2 modding community.

i dont know about sound mods... but with user skins/models it will always revert back to the original skin of that model ..

for reborn it goes back to its default (even if u edit the original and try to do it that way)

UT u could put new skins/models in and they would be usuable and viewable by you and ppl who has them .. didnt matter if the server had them or not.

this is the way with ALL online multiplay fps games, q1, q2, q3, ut, sof, hl, cs, etc etc etc

so the only reasoning is that its accidental ... in which case lets hope they fix it ...

or if its intentional its to stop ppl using hacked models and super bright skins to cheat with.

in which case the majority suffer ... :(

setting autodownload on will not let u see the skin model.

dunno bout UT and skins, but UT and custom models didn't got over to well, it'd revert u to the default player/skin that was set when u installed

thats why i don't play UT in anything but bot matches. Q3A pre- 1.29 patch did allow for u to play on a server with a custom model and have yourself and friends see it, but as a cheat protection thats not allowed unless the server has the model now.

so that ruined all Q3A fun

JK2 is running the same way, i am sick of the way that perfectly good models and skins are being put to waste by this, how many server admins actually dload skins/models???

maybe 1 out of 50

q3 has never made models revert back to defaul skins on models

from conception to 1.31 (current).

thats because id software knows how much the mod community loves their skins/models ...

raven having done so many quake related addons and such i would have thought would have followed the same way.

this makes me belive (and hope) that its a glitch/bug/****up and not an anti cheat thing.

if you ever had it changin ya skins back to the models default then theres something screwy happening to you...

UT was a beyatch to make cutom models work on, because of that stupid .ini file crap... but then Epic doesnt have a clue anyway

i hated making models and skins for UT because their textures were too limited, the setup was very difficult to learn and the worst bit was that stupid UnrealEd took a year to load.

Archived