Home

What is the best Gamepad to use with JKII?

Trelen

Hi,

What gamepad or joystick do you all use for FPS type games? I am planning on buying one this afternoon, mine broke yesterday, and I am looking to trade up.

Any help will be appreciated!

// Trelen

Gamepads and joysticks are pathetic for FPS's compared to a mouse and keyboard combination, that's why FPS suck on consoles compared to PC's :-)

Accuracy and speed is sooo much better using a mouse and keyboard, but if you insist on using a gamepad, try out a Gravis Xterminator - they're pretty sweet.

I'd tend to agree with the mouse/keyboard combo for First Person Shooters - nothing compares with games like Rogue Spear. You need the precision of the mouse to aim anywhere near accurately and a joystick hat, for example, just doesn't cut it.

With JKII, though, there are just so many buttons that you need to have access to in order to make it work correctly - I don't see the keyboard/mouse combo cutting it here for that reason.

I'm experimenting with keyboard (movement) and MS Strategic Commander (aiming and all other functions). That way you can actually move, aim, and change your settings (lightsaber style, weapons, etc) quickly and efficiently without taking a hand off of one of your other controls.

I'll let you know how it works out.

I really like my logitech rumblepads, Especally the wirless one. It is a pretty close match to a ps pad but with 6 face buttons. The 6 insted of 4 really comes in handy for games like JKII. The battery life on the cordless sucks but it has the 4 shoulder buttons like a ps pad, the corded one only has 2.

if you need 10 keys bunched together like that, why not just bind the keys you need all on the num_keys? If you have verbeen in a fps tournament like at conventions or shows or whatever...mostly all the great players use them and the razer boomslang mouse. On the right area of the keyboard there's more then 10 there too and you need more then 10 free keys to be really effective in this game vs other people. I was doing it with 8 before but when i bound each attack/forcepower i needed to a key instead of cycling through weapons with a mouse wheel, it really gave me more frags faster. first time around, i set a server for 80 frags max bots, jedi master, beat them all in 25 minutes. Then i rebound my keys to the num_keys and got those 80 frags in 10(some maps) to 16(bigger maps) minutes against max/ 80 frags using saber only of course. With the guns I imagine with the max load of bots it would be alot faster. In a all player match (no bots) fights end incredibly quick when everything is bound. All small chances to do anything are available then.

I don't know what others get but the point is it was a HUGE improvement for myself.

The speed pad rules

I'm right handed , use left hand on keys, and the numpad is too far to the right for me

It has 10 buttons, a throttle, and a 8 way d-pad. The d-pad can be mapped to whatever you want.

I've been using it and really like it, lot more freedom then being bound to a huge keyboard

Keyboard/mouse works fine if you know where to rebind. Like mentioned in earlier posts I bound all my force powers to the num_pad and moved a few other things around as well. First off, I moved my jump key to to the right Shift so it wouldnt be a stretch to get to the space bar. also, I bound lightsaber to the END key so I could get to it quickly. For those finding it a bit of a stretch to use the num_pad, I usually slide my finders over so I'm using my ring finger for forward/back and my middle finger and pinkie for left and right.

If this doesnt work you can try any other combination of keys that you will be comfortable with. It's worth the money you'll save to experiment. For those still not convinced, you're probably just having an urge to buy a new toy to play with. I know the feeling after dropping a few hunderd bucks for more memory and new video/sound cards.

:mob:

With a keyboard and mouse, this game kicks @**. Then I played it with my friend's WingMan® Cordless Rumblepad™. After I left his house, I went and bought one immediately. It uses two joysticks (i mapped one to movement arrow keys, and one to the mouse movement), and has 7 configurable buttons on top with 4 shoulder buttons on the front. AND it has D-pad that i able to configure to scroll through weapons/inventory/force powers. I very RARELY have to use the keyboard or mouse when using this gamepad. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to all you Outcast fans!

WingMan® Cordless Rumblepad™.

(http://www.logitech.com/cf/cordless/index.cfm?act=4294)

:saberb:

Archived