Home

Books

Guest dvader07

Guest dvader07

Hey guys, I am an avid star wars fan, and I love all the movies and the games that I have played. I got big into Jedi Knight, and GB sounds great so far. In reading all the different discussions in the forums I have a question for anyone who wants to answer. As mentioned above, I love the movies, but I have never got into the books. It sounds like there are some really great ones out there and I am thinking about trying a few out. If I were to pick a particular series, or a particular book to start with, what would be your recommendations for my first pick. Thanks for your help.

Well ... there are few good ones to start with.

- Heir to the Empire, the first written and one of the best

- X-Wing series (starting with Rogue Squadron)

- Shadows of the Empire (between ESB and RotJ ... gives more insight than the videogame and comicbook)

Those are good starters ...

Guest Boba Rhett

Lets see.... Well, there's the Thrawn Trilogy, The Thrawn Trilogy and , oh yes, The Thrawn Trilogy.

The names of the three books are as follows:

Heir to the Empire

Dark Force Rising

The Last Command

I would also check out The Courtship of Princess Leia after you read those.

Guest Tie Guy

Yes, you have to read the Thrawn Trilogy first, it is the mother of all star wars books. then read the Rogue Squadron series next, they are excellent. Then just go to the book store and pick out one that looks good. Then , after you've read a couple, read the Thrawn Duology, Spectre to the Past and Vision of the Future.

Guest Boba Rhett

I'm in the middle of reading SotE and is it just me or does it not feel like the Star Wars universe? I think The writer, "Terry Brooks?" has some issues too.....

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

I'm in the middle of reading SotE and is it just me or does it not feel like the Star Wars universe? I think The writer, "Terry Brooks?" has some issues too.....

AH-HA! So I'm not the only one that thinks some of the SW books don't "feel" like SW! I knew I wasn't the only one! :D

Guest xwing guy

The Thrawn triology, then the X-wing series, then the jedi academy series, then pick out the ones you want except the NJO, read those after the two Hand of Thrawn books then go into the NJO.

Guest Gamma732

SotE isn't a GREAT SW book, even though it was the first SW book I read, myself. I'd strongly recommend Heir to the Empire(my 2nd or 3rd book ;) ) or anything Zahn(sp?) has written, he's a really good author in my opinion.

I'm still not really clear on SotE.....SPOILER.......Did Rendar die? I've heard some say yes, and others say no. Does anyone know for sure?

BTW When you read NJO, go in thinking its not a SW book, cause it does not feel like SW.

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

He better not have! *shakes fist angrily*

Didn't his ship get blown up though? I guess he could have gone into hyperspace at the last second.....

Guest Master Yoda

I dont know. Ive read some SW books that just didnt feel like they fit in with the Star Wars universe. I agree though that Zahn is a great author the Thrawn Trilogy is my favorite series. Actually the NH,ESB,ROTJ book set I have isn't very good, It doesnt really go with the movies in some stuff.

Guest Tie Guy

ok here's a goo thing to remember.

A movie made from a bookusually sucks, or is at least a lot different.

A book made from a movie always sucks.

Originally posted by Tie Guy

ok here's a goo thing to remember.

A movie made from a bookusually sucks, or is at least a lot different.

A book made from a movie always sucks.

Episode 1 book didn't suck! :mad:

Guest Gamma732

I'd love to know if the book was as bad as the movie....Lets have some argueme--err...friendly discussion as to whats good and whats bad about them, to benifit those who may not have read the book(Me ;) ).

Well I haven't read the book in awhile but what I did like about the book was you didn't have that awful actor playing Anakin! When I read what he said, it didn't sound so stupid like it did in the movie. Although in the book Artoo uses some stupid rockets to fly back onto a platform on Coruscant :(

Guest Gamma732
Originally posted by Kvan

Well I haven't read the book in awhile but what I did like about the book was you didn't have that awful actor playing Anakin!

Hmm......Ever see Jingle All The Way? "Anakin" was the kid in that. He seemed good playing a young boy....but that probably has something to do with the fact it was a *normal* young boy...But I do agree, parts of the E1 script didn't sound quite right at times.

Archived