Home

Creating maps in radiant poll

Darth_Lando

What are the chances of maps created in Radiant being incompatible with the JO editor  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What are the chances of maps created in Radiant being incompatible with the JO editor

• As long as you only design the maps with no textures, you'll have no problem!
    • Good ahead but don't surprised if it is incompatible
    • Do it at your own risk buddy
    • Most likely will not be compatible I would wait
    • Don't even waster your time. It will not work.

Its a quake 3 engine. Nuff said.

To give you an idea of just how little the quake engine has changed the .map code. I was actually making quake3 maps before it was released. I had about 5 maps released just for quake3test. Those same maps worked just fine in Quake3 when it finially camp out a few months later...

The information your going to need, are the ent names. Once you have a list of those and rad file created, you could start making maps now...

[edit]

I really should proread this crap before I submit.../shrug

You can do anything you want but you cant compile. You'll get a CMON_LoadBrushSides bad shader #3 error. I belive they made revisions to q3map that interpret brush faces a different way that the current q3map or any version of ydnars q3map cant compile properly. Hell it could be a thousand things but the point is if your planning on a large map go ahead and map... I would rather wait. jafosig.jpg

um.....im already finished with 90% of the brushwork for a duel arena i had an idea for. guess what else, if u look in this same forum, ull see exactly how u can get the textures into radient. th only thing is, the skies for jo arent shaders in there yet, just textures....so u cant make the sky or anything.

im gonna finish brushwork today, and as soon as the right tools are released(sdk) im gonna add the ents, and make it playable in jo. haha itll work.

Part of the changes Raven did to the Mighty Q3 engine, was to double it's polygon capacity.

This change has affected q3map and from what I understand, the way Binary Space Partitions are created.

We need the tools and a clearly defined Target Polycount limit to realy take advantage of what changes they have made.

In Quake3 the MAX target Polycount was 10,000 ( including players playing ) in any given location. Now that CPU's/Vidcards have sped up significantly, the target Polycount most people seem to be using is around 15,000.

I have not gotten around to using r_speeds 1 on any of the JO maps yet, but I'm willing to bet most polycounts are WAY over those mentioned above.....yet I'm having perfectly acceptable Frame rates with a AMD 1.1gig and Geforce2-MX with everything maxed ( above 35 fps everywhere ). So If they did find a way to double the polycount without too much of a hit to framerate, then I'm sure we'll see a TON of newbie mappers doing maps.

Raven did mess with the engine alot, but the only part they didn't touch was the renderer. So all poly rules still apply. They did mess with some other things though, such as the directory structure of the .pk3 files and of course, the models. I am guessing at this, but I think the .aas files may be very different to account for force powers, light saber, wall walking and such. But under the hood, it is still the same Q3 graphics renderer.

BTW: You are right about the r_speeds...they are off the scale. Raven did a nice job on the single player maps, but the ones for multi-player are poorly made. I don't think the Raven MP mappers use hint brushes or understand 'architect for FPS' :(

Many many people complain about FPS in multi-player. User made maps will improve this alot though, cuz we have some dandy mappers gearing up for the task. Thank god, cuz some of the MP are almost unplayable for those with weaker computers.

Keep an eye out for our teams stuff, we are gonna make sure the maps are high quality with much better FPS and map detail :)

- Vorax

Mapper for Wired Lamp Studios

Archived