Home

helpm me: I am a newbie at editing+modding of games

haplofxp

hello everyone, i am new at modding and i need some serious help :)

can anyone give me some advice please on where i should begin if i wanted to learn how to make mods. I have some expirience in 3d modelling but i want to be able to work with the coding and change basically anything that you can change.

I need tutorials that can help me understand how to write the code needed to make a mod. ie what language are the really heavy engine modifications done in?etc....

Just for an example if i wanted to change the light sabre in jk2 to a dual bladed one and i wanted to change all its moves and stances+damage phisics etc what do i have to go through to get there? (i know at the moment thats not possible because the sdk has not been released yet) i just want to know where to start and from what to learn.

Also is can someone point me to a tutorual on what shaders are and how they are incorporated in the game. I know that a shader is supposed to make it possible for example to make realistic looking hair on a model but thats all i know.

thanks in advance any help will be greatly appresiated.

Basically, I think your question hasn't been answered because we don't have the answers ourselves yet. I can give you a bit of info that is pretty generic.

C or C++ will be the language for moding JKII. C is not a language that you can learn from a few tutorials, you will need books or a course....and some time. Since we don't have the source code yet, we can't help you with where you will need to change the light saber code.

They may release a tutorial with the SDK on some of the basic concepts of moding. At least, outline what you have to do. In the mean time, just sit back and wait with the rest of us....and get yourself a C++ compiler and a book.

That's about as much as can be told...we are all trying to be patient as we sit here in the dark :(

- Vorax

thx, i was not really asking on how to make that mod i was just giving an example. as for c or c++ i have some very general knowledge on programming, but what i really wanted was a way for me to learn how to incorporate programing+3d modelling into making a mod for a game, ie q3, half life or even jedi knight....so again i need to know how to mix the those things together and in what way to modify the actual code. thats as best as i can explain it.

so if someone still can answer that please do. thx

ps.btw i have found some links to tutorials for newbies on another forum for q3 engine related editing. but some more would be helpful.

To tell you the truth, you are trying to make it easier than it sounds. Not offending you of course, but it's really hard to make a mod yourself. If you can model stick to modelling, knowing many things may be an asset, but trying to learn how to edit everything and anything is very hard (I tried this in JK so I have reason to say this). Best thing is to tweak a few models here and there, or if ur really into the whole trying to make things work, try coding. One thing you should know tho, is a lot of geometry and physics and mathematics go into most of the code :p, most you can do through trial and error if you are unsure of what it does. Once the source is released though, it should be very nice to see some good mods :)

Basically, to do what you are talking about, the steps would be like this:

- Create the model, skin it and add the animations for it

- Modify the .def file in Radiant to add your model and its modifiable properties

- Make a map that uses your model. Add in the triggers and targets for all the stuff you will be doing (tutorials on this kinda thing are out there)

- Modify the game source to understand your new entity type, update its capabilities by extending the scripting langauage so you can use it in Icarus

- Start developing the scripts that will use the targets you defined and the new entity

- compile it all and test

- iterate until it all works the way you intended

thats about it...Not alot of steps, but almost each of those steps requires alot of specific knowledge and skill. If that sounds easy, then I want you on our mod team! hehehe

- Vorax

Archived