Home

LAN server specs

Ready Wan

I'm running a LAN this weekend and I've got a laptop that I'd like to use as a dedicated server.

it's a cel 333 (p3) with 192mb RAM

how many players will this support as a dedicated server?

thanks!

--also what kind of a server would I need to run 16 players on LAN?

i'm running my server on an iPaq with 256mb of ram and it supports 8 people no prob.

it's using the linux dedicated server app, running on mandrake linux.

i'm thinking of making it sabre only for a while, since i like the one on one fighting aspec of the game, yet all the weapons dont' really let you do that.

Cool I was waiting for a reply like this one.. Your running mandrake.... I'm thinking about switching from win 2000 pro to mandrake but the only hold back I have is the windows progies i have and rather they will work with mandrake 8.2 or not??? will jk2o, Q3, Voyager if there ment to be for windows or will i have to switch my whole libary software to linux platform?

Originally posted by osx_rand

i'm running my server on an iPaq with 256mb of ram and it supports 8 people no prob.

it's using the linux dedicated server app, running on mandrake linux.

i'm thinking of making it sabre only for a while, since i like the one on one fighting aspec of the game, yet all the weapons dont' really let you do that.

Well I am running 12 person LAN server on an IBM Thinkpad PII 300, 256Mb RAM with RedHat 7.2 Linux. I am not having any issues. Now the server is 18 person cause we run serveral bots on it.

Now to answer the last guy. I know for JK2 all I did was use the Linux file and copy the pk3 files from my win32 CD to the dir. Same thing for Quake. Now this will run the server not the client. Not all apps port over to linux for that matter very few do. If you are talking about a dedicated workstation then I would say stick with Windows but for server go Linux!

Archived