Home

Reintegrating files into assets0.pk3 HELP!!!!!!

Aeon

I know how to extract a file and edit it, but instead of creating a new skin (as per the posted guide) i would like to overwrite the existing skin. However, after editing the files i want, i try to add it back into assets0.pk3 - which goes fine - but when i launch the game i get errors associated with filename length. The number of characters in the path are too long.

How do i get around this?

i think the game looks for filesize, so you'll need to make sure the edit is the same filesize (i remember hearing about programs that automate this, but you could reduce colours or something along those lines.

if i'm being unclear, mail me and i'l help you

*m

here's where i'm going to ask you to clear things up for me :)

you're replacing a skin, but you're editing a textfile?

you're not setting the .skin file to point at another skin are you?

because, well, there's more to it then that

sorry if i'm not getting it, please explain in detail

*m

"you're not setting the .skin file to point at another skin are you?

because, well, there's more to it then that "

Um.... that's exactly what i'm doing. I was telling the model_default for kyle to point to luke for some torso, leg, arm stuff... so that i'd essentially have kyle's face (later to become lando's face the same way) with the black suit that Luke wears. So what am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

The way i did it was i extracted model_default to the base dir, so in base dir i had models/players/kyle/model_default.skin.

Then i edited the file with wordpad and added it back to assets0.pk3. And like i said, when i tried to launch the game, i got error with filename length.

I think it reads the pk3s in alphanumeric order. So maybe call it "user-somedistinctname.pk3" or just start the file name with a z.

I would never recommend putting an edited file back into the original game pk3. You could have trouble joining the pure servers.

Thanks for the help, guys... sincerely!!

I actually got it to work!! I just added the models folder to models.zip, renamed to pk3 and no problem. Now i got a Kyle in black...

Now to add lando's head...

No worries, you probably did the most important thing of all by bumping it a couple times, and getting people to look at it. :-)

The head is a tad trickier... it doesn't seem to look right, even though i re-routed configstrings for head, face, and mouth_eyes... must be something else i'm missing.

Also, if i just delete the config lines for his "extras" (e.g. shoulder pad), will they simply not appear, or will it screw with the model?

Thanks.

OK, one last question: what's the torso_fade.tga for?

Archived