Home

Jedi Knight 1 in JO!

Moleculor

Ok, sorry for the -slightly- misleading topic header (JK1 is not in JO, sorry)... but....

It would be really cool if it were! Dontcha think?

Could it be legally modded? Or would we need to beg Lucas/Raven to do it in a add-on/expansion? Who's with me? (Petitions, anyone?)

He's talking about playing the JK1 story in the JO engine, something that I hope to god someone does. This would be extremely fun, Maybe they would even put cutscenes in it with the audio from JK1, I think that would be a good idea. Anyway, once someone gets some level converters, this will no doubt happen. Ive heard the idea a few times before so we're not alone.

no, it would be a rehash, kinda like when they remake old movies, sure it looks better, but it wont have the magic of the orginal. I think everyone who wishes for something like that needs to move on.

Out with the old on with the new, thats just imho though.

as far as SP goes once a level convertor is up and running (and i here ones already on its way) it would be reletively simple to convert the levels themselves but what about all the NPC's?

the 7 jedi, the stormtroopers, everything would have to be remodelled and retextured to look even nearly decent in the new engine

and the code?

all the scripts to make elevators work, doors open, and boc laugh like a gimp would have to be redone in icarus or whatever the hell its called.

it would be a truly massive undertaking i think

-patch

It might be "easy" to do that conversion compared to making Jk1 from scratch but it would still take a fair amount of time. And since the game exists already the time required to do so would never be warranted by Raven, Lucasarts, or any other gaming company. Realisticly it would never happen. That rehash would most likely not sell well enough to make a profit. And in software companies that is very important. Raven wouldn't want to become just another software has-been (thanks to going broke) because a few fans wanted the already existing game to look pretty.

Sorry mate, but JK1 will never be beautified with any engine "officially". It would never be finanially viable.

Just look forward to new and exciting SW games to be produced and give up the dream of the old ones being reborn.

Whats next... Commander Keen with done using the latest 3D engines? :)

I didnt mean officially, I meant a mod that people would make. Level converters would make the job that much easier. And with the NPC's, you would just have to substitute the rocket stormtrooper in for the rail det storm trooper and the same with other NPC's who had weapons not in JO. I think that enough people want to see it done that it IS realistic to think that it might be made. I mean its not like its a completely new game. You wouldnt have to think up clever designs for levels, enemy placement, or even a new bad guy. Sure I made it sound more simple than it really is, but with people making things like counterstrike and team fortress, I dont think its out of the question.

I think it would be fun to replay, especially since I never made it all the way through MoTS but I doubt it will happen. I would like to see some of the old multi maps brought to JKO... spiced up a little bit, maybe some new features. I'd love to see an updated Canyon Oasis.

Actually, if there was a team of significant size, it could be done quite easily. Most of the models for weapons and characters are already in JK2. So if you tasked a group with remaking levels from scratch (give each a single map or two to duplicate) it could be done in a timely fashion. There would a little texture work to be redone, but otherwise things such as door, elevators, stormtroopers are already there to used.

Since many of the maps are just "revisits" of JK1, there will be many textures that are already appropriate for use.

I suspect that we will see many JK1 remakes of maps come out once the SDK is released. After that, I would then expect someone to try and tie all those individual efforts together to make a single downloadable Single Player conversion.

But don't bother with trying to petition Raven/LEC to do the work, I'd rather that they work on new material. Leave this kind of grunt work to the community, we'd enjoy doing it, more than the pros would. Besides, I'm sure that there are some hungry JK2 fans, ready to cut there teeth on simple projects like this one.

Cyclone

Guest Forceflow

Well, there is one big problem about that. It wouldn't be legal. Some folks wanted to do this with Tie Fighter and X-Wing. (Wanterd to convert it into the XWA Engine) But apparently some LEC official got pissed about that and they had to stop doing it.

The problem is you'd have to somehow verify that the guy installing the JK levels actually OWNED JK since all the levels and stuff are property of LEC and may not be copied in any way. A MOD recreating all the levels and stuff would however do exactly this, copy it.

I dunno, it seems LEC is a bit less lawyer loose lately, but I wouldn't wanna invest a hell of a lot of time to then just get kicked off the net.

Heres an idea, recreate the whole game, but completely change the levels to be "better" than JK was (LEC wasn't big on level design, and some of they'er levels were godalfull), and make more sense. No quick porting of levels and textures. All from scratch. The only thing I would want from JK is the sound, music, and the videos.

Maybe create a small dos util. to convert any sound files in the JK directory, then it would convert them to a file format that Q3 reads and pack them into a pak file.

It might be more work, but eaiser than dealing with LEC.

Also someone needs to recreate Dark Forces in the same way as mentioned above.

Originally posted by Moleculor

Ok, sorry for the -slightly- misleading topic header (JK1 is not in JO, sorry)... but....

It would be really cool if it were! Dontcha think?

Could it be legally modded? Or would we need to beg Lucas/Raven to do it in a add-on/expansion? Who's with me? (Petitions, anyone?)

I don't think it would be illegal IF you required the original CD to do it, but the original game might not suit well to the new engine, it was a DirectX game, using really low quality textures, lighting was ridiculous, and the models [shudder].

Doubt this will happen unless lucas arts decides to give us a PRESENT, so maybe put it on your X-mas wish list, but don't expect it.

Archived