Home

JKII freezes all the time @ W2k...?!?

aehrick

Okay, this sounds rather funny perhaps, but i have never yet shut down JK2 by using one of the "exit" buttons!

The thing is, my system freezes after a random amount of time. Sometimes it is instantly after i load my savegame, sometimes i can play for 3 hours. But in the end it always freezes! I have to reboot because nothing works, not even my ATX-powerbutton.

Has anyone of you guys had this problem? I formatted my HDD, added my ATI drivers and DirectX 8.1 to the freshly reborn W2k and still: the re-installed JK2 freezes!

These are my hardware specs, perhaps they matter:

• AMD K7 1000

• ATI Radeon 8500 Pro

• 1 GB RAM

• Epox 8 KTA 3 Mainboard

Thanx for your help.

Aehrick

P.S. The game M.O.H.A.A. seems to be based on the same Q3 engine, but doesn't have the freezing problem...

There IS a problem with the ATI 7500 All In Wonder Radeon. I get the same problem, sometimes it locks up every 5-15 minutes randomly, sometimes when quickloading, sometimes when first loading the saved game from the main menu. I saw another thread where they tried to blame it on heat in the system and I do agree that that can sometimes be an issue but I run just as many other games which drive the processor and graphis card as hard with no problems. In addition, I run a GeForce 2 Ultra card on my sons computer with no problems.

I have a GeForce3 card that I just removed to put in the Radeon (which I need for video capture) so I am thinking of removing it and putting the Geforce3 card back in and see if I have the same problems.

I bet you it's a driver problem, ati has alwasy had problems with it's drivers. I quit using there cards along time ago and it's alwasy been there weekness.

why don't you just buy a stand alone capture card or a usb capture. I would worry about stripping the AGP port or something like that. adding a new card in everytime you want to capture. I am sure for the money you get selling your ati card you could get a nice capture card.

I also gave up on ATI cards when I got my new system. Although they produce some good cards if you look at the technical specs, they have just always produced awful buggy drivers.

I can't tell you the number of times I had to download special game specific drivers and driver updates with my old Rege Fury card.

I have a Geforec2 in my new system, not going to upgrade that until Geforce4 cards have been well tested and have solid drivers.

This game runs great on my system, I'm almost sure it would have had terrible problems on my old one.

:3headed:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I've been researching this for about a week now and other forums are posting the same problem. It's not ATI's or Nvidia's fault. Well, at least not directly. Other peoples pc's have lockup up running Nvidia, ATI, 3dfx cards and various hardware configurations and OS's. I've tested an elsa geforce 2 ultra 64 and a MSI geforce 4 440 mx and encounter the same problems so the geforce 2's aren't exempt. (check my other post here or at the gamefaqs.com jedi outcast message board about tests of done for more info. Search for my name: Bonovox40 )

So I wouldn't go returning your Radeon yet. Yes, ATI might be slower on the driver updates and such but there are people using them running Jedi Outcast with no problems. It seems to be a software issue from everything i've tested/read. I'm tired of messing with it on my pc but if someone has any ideas I haven't tried, i'll test it. I'm waiting to hear from lucasarts about this. It's possible this can be patched but anyones guess is as good as mine.

Good luck!

I had the same freeze problems with my 3dfx card but I found that if I die in the game I could bypass the freeze problem. While in gameplay, if I happen to die, I do not left click on the mouse, instead I hit the escape button then go into "setup" change any of the parameters then change back to the original setting and hit "apply changes" once the game resets it will be okay to restart to the point where you last saved. I know this is involved but it works! I think this is better than paying 300.00 for a nvidea card even though I think I will have to break down and by one.

Archived