Home

Did Anyone Else Compare the Storyline Heavily To "I, Jedi"?

Fett_72

I started reading the book again the day I got the game since I like to read similar-subject things to get me in the mood for doing them both.

It seems to me like they must have read at least a little of the book when they wrote the game, it's different enough to not be a take-off or anything (especially the end), but I found myself strongly reminded of it while playing.

Like how both characters (Corran and Kyle) rejected the Force to continue their previous lives, but then a crisis with their loved ones forced them to learn to be Jedi.

This just really isn't a very typical storyline, and since it's in two different things I thought it was both neat and weird.

I added the spoiler tag - digl

You know, I read "I, Jedi" about a year and a half ago, and while I was playing the game, I kept thinking how familiar it all seemed. Then, when I was battling with Luke on the Doomgiver against those 4 Reborn, it hit me: "I, Jedi"! In fact, I went back and read the book again, and sure enough, the story of JO parrallel's "I, Jedi"'s almost down to the last page of the novel.

I have a question (how come we all speak with British accents when we're in outer space and there's no Britain?)... but really... when Qui Gon takes Anakin to be trained in ep1, Yoda says that he is too old but it seems that in this time line, Luke is taking people of all ages... whats up with that?

Its also because hes just starting out, and knows only at least 70% of how the old Jedi Academy was done.

:duel:

and Jedi were START and the galaxy didn't know a lot about them, and picture parents of force-sensative children thinking how mean it is to take their children away to some distant planet they don't even know about?

the EU not following the "too old to begin the training" rule is basically saying that there was no reason for the jedi of old to institute such a rule .

which sux

the whole reason behind the rule, as far as i can see, is that the awesome of the force can only be safely entrusted to someone who has been raised and trained since small children to follow the jedi code and so is possessed of a strict self discipline.

luke training any deadbeat who wanders of the street and can guess a coin toss correctly is stupid.

i know the jedi academy series (which started the training stuff in EU) was written before any prequels, but surely the authors would've noticed Yoda's caution in training luke because he was too old.

and he was only like nineteen or twenty or something wasn't he?

streen (one of the first jedi trainees) was like a fifty year old grizly old prospector when luke snapped him up as a potential jedi.

-patch

but if you remember, most if not all of lukes first 12 students had contact with using the force at some point. 2 were former force sensitives working for the Emperor. Kam being the only one that was trained as a Jedi before the purge and then joined the darkside.

Getting back to the original topic, there was something I noticed a long time ago about the original Jedi Knight game and "I, Jedi".

In MP (in JK) if you wanted to use force protection, you had to take all your force stars out of the basic powers (speed, jump, seeing and pull) and only then could you get protect. Basically, to become the sort of 'ultimate light side Jedi', you had to forgo any telekenetic powers (ie speed, jump, pull) and then you could get force protection instead. This left you with healing, absorb, blinding, persuasion and protect.

Anyone notice the similarity? The ultimate light side powers are incredibly similar to Corran Horn's Corellian blood line's Jedi powers. He can't use telekinesis, but he's a master of the mind trick and altering peoples perceptions (persuasion and blinding). He's also adept in protecting himself from energy attacks and abosrbing and redirecting energy (absorb and protection).

It's pretty clear Stackpole (the author of I, Jedi) used material from Star Wars games before. The original X-Wing game was part of his inspiration for the Rogue Squadron series. So much so that the sim mission the soon-to-be-Rogues are training on at the very beginning of the first book is taken straight from the X-Wing game. I think he may have looked at JK too, before writing I, Jedi and that's where he got his idea for Corran's powers.

Like how both characters (Corran and Kyle) rejected the Force to continue their previous lives, but then a crisis with their loved ones forced them to learn to be Jedi.

This just really isn't a very typical storyline, and since it's in two different things I thought it was both neat and weird.

It isnt? Take out Jedi and add swordsman, samurai, ninja, wizzard, or ANYTHING and it seems pretty familiar...

Archived