Home

Skin Question, Will other ppl see on MP?

da_rat

Originally posted by BacMeth

hey dont flame n00bs

I think he was flaming himself :)

I wrote an updated skinning tutorial that should be posted soon, here's an excerpt:

Okay, I start up multiplayer, choose to play my skin I made, but I when I join a server, my skin is reset to some other skin. Why?

It depends on two things. If the server is “pure”. “Pure” is a server setting that, when set, does not allow any players to use any files that the server does not have (this is to prevent cheating and maintain compatibility). If “pure” is not set on the server, you can use any files you want, regardless of whether the server also has those files.

If the server is pure, the only way you can use your new skin is if the server also has the pk3 file with your skin in it. If you bring down the console (press SHIFT+~) and type “fs_referencedList”, you will see all the pk3 files the server is using, including but not confined to the assets0.pk3 and assets1.pk3 that came with the retail game.

All that having been said, 99% of the servers running are going to be pure. If you find one that is not pure, you can use whatever files you want, but it may be less stable. So the best way to get your file to be usable in game is to have server admins get your pk3 and put it in their base folder for everyone to see and use (more on this in the next question).

Okay, I start up multiplayer, choose to play my skin I made, but no-one else can see it. Why?

Well, only people who actually have the skin you just made can see it. Also, if they have “force models” on, they will see every model and skin as the model and skin they are using. If they have “defer models” on, they only get updated models when they die or when the scoreboard comes up.

Now, they can get your model by either of two means:

By downloading it from a site like http://www.jediknighii.net, http://www.massassi.net or http://www.jediknight2files.com and putting it in their base dir…

OR

They can download your pk3 directly from the server when they join it. This will happen automatically if the server has “Allow Downloads” on (look at the “g_allowDownloads” item on the server info for the server) and if the player joining the server has “Allow Downloads” enabled.

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of skinning then? If you create a custom skin and start a server and use your new skin, other people will not only not be able to download the new skin from your server, but they will not see anything on their screen other than the default character set? :confused:

Personally I think the default game skins are pretty lame (Mon Mothma? What's up with that?)

Does anybody know a way of making the skin files downloadable from the server?

Thanks

D.A.

Originally posted by DarkAgent

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of skinning then? If you create a custom skin and start a server and use your new skin, other people will not only not be able to download the new skin from your server, but they will not see anything on their screen other than the default character set? :confused:

Does anybody know a way of making the skin files downloadable from the server?

If you read my post, all you have to do is enable "Allow Downloads" on the server. Any players joining with "Allow Downloads" enabled will auto-download any pk3 files your server has.

The best way, of course, is to make a very cool skin/model/mod that everyone wants and get the word out so everyone goes and gets it.

A good idea would be that when there are a lot of skins available, you make a compilation of the 20 best skins available. Then mail all the server admins and ask them to put these on their servers. Most of the time it won't be a big problem. Just make sure that you got quality work before you try this.

UniKorn

Project Lead / Mapper 4 Wired Lamp Studios

http://www.wiredlampstudios.com

Archived