Home

Left handed Jedi?

Kuroshi

Jedi are based heavily off of samurai, and samurias where trained in the use of their right hand primarily, and only use the left when dual wielding.

They never, unless they were forced, used their left hand primarily.

since lightsaber fighting is heavily based on kendo, and if your taking a normal kendo grip, left handed fighters would have a advantage since their left hand(placed at the bottom in a normal grip) is stronger.

ALL samurai fought right-handed. The most prominent reason is that the sword rests on your left when you draw it, and the traditional gi/hakama clothes they wore were folded left over right.

A left handed samurai would need to wear his sword on his right side and the sword could then get caught in his clothes as he draws it.

A left handed samurai could not reverse the folds of his clothes, because you only fold right over left when you bury dead people.

I think there are some other reasons as well.

i knew an old guy in japan who was a swordsman, and we talked about the left handed thing. i don't remember why i asked, but im glad i did. if someone was born lefted handed, it wouldn't matter, they would train them to be right handed.

ronin are only samurai who've lost their master and either revenge his death or become a type of mercenary. at least, that's how i understand it.

them going left handed wouldn't make much sense, except for reasons such as being outcast and different, maybe for the shame of it, but they would have to totally retrain themselves...

Archived