Home

Extracting sounds & music

Neugart

Hi,

A complete newbie here.

Is there any way to grab the music and sound effects from JKII in MP3 or wav format?

You can save the sounds from most games but it seems in JKII ( and the earlier JK's too) this isn't possible.

The reason I'm asking is that I want to may a sound effects CD for our roleplaying sessions.

Juha

It's very possible. In fact, Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith are two of my primary sources for Star Wars sound effects. The earlier game series used special compressed files to hide the goodies inside. But luckily, the newest installment has an easy-to-access compressed file.

Basically, everything you're looking for is located in two files: assets0.pk3, and assets1.pk3, both are located in your "base" directory. You can open them up, and extract their contents, with any version of WinZip.

And just for some sound info, all of JK2's sounds are in MP3 format. You get some high-quality for less space with MP3s compared to WAV.

Anyway, hope this helps. If you need any help, give me a buzz, or simply drop off a message at my homepage forum:

http://smrti.cjb.net

I'm there all the time, and probably your best bet to get a hold of me.

i have both asset paks extracted onto my HD for easy refference.

i find the bespin textures make for great wallpapers, and the music is some of the best! it's great to hear John Williams style Star Wars mixed with Clint Bajakian's great sound!

and don't forget to put lando's 'wooohooooo' as your startup sound ;)

Archived