Home

Whats with all the skins?

JediGhost[SITH]

Sorry if this is off-topic or whatever... But geez, why are there so many skins being made?!?

The only point custom skins have is for Single Player (if you know how)..

Aren't they useless on Multiplayer?! In order for others to see your skin, doesn't something have to be enabled, and then the skin downloaded?

I figure this game is using the Q3 engine or has some resemblance to Q3.. And, custom skins don't show..

Am I the only one who'd rather have mods than skins?!

:confused:

Hehe... ;)

No sweat.

Skins are the time-filler until the editing tools have been released by Raven (within the following week, eventually).

Creating mods without those is rather risky business, so to say.

Best thing you could do now is plan.

Aside of that, you are only partially correct regarding the usefulness of skins.

Custom skins work alike in JK2 and Q3...That is true.

But they can easily be seen/used in both games, in MP and SP alike.

It is true that server and client side settings can disable the use and/or download of custom skins...

But you can find enough servers/players who do use and enable it !

I do immensely enjoy the customizability of characters !

Especially given the boring MP characters coming with the game :p

I usually disable the displaying of custom skins... Too bothersome having to join a server and wait to download skins..

I think it was Quake 1 that was pissing me off so much.. I had a 56k and it seemed as though MOST servers I joined, everyone had a custom skin. I had to wait about 15 minutes for all the customs skins to download.

Plus, with the new "100% invisible skin" ability (which, by the way, I have made one), if servers allow custom skins, people will be using the invisible one.. Nothing shows, except the saber/gun in the hand.

And people think the Kyle's Arms skin is bad, hehehe, when every1 starts using custom skins there's going to be some major chaos...

And what do you mean by Raven's editing tools? They are realeasing utilities to create mods/skins/maps? That'll be a first, I've never seen a MOD creating utility... If it all doesn't cost a whopping amount of money, the programs will suck..

JediGhost, you obviously dont know much about the Q3 engine itself do you?

The comment about the tools and stuff is also rather odd, again shows you probably dont know much about the Q3 engine itself and the tools/source code that were released for it.

If you want to have a look at something Q3 engine related so you can think better at the stuff you said and maybe rethink it, go here.

PlanetQuake.com

Archived