Home

How to turn skins into bots?

Dejas203

Cool! I actually know how to do this! Woo hoo! :p

To make a bot, you just need two files. One is a jkb file, and the other is a bot file(bot is actually the extention). Both are just regular text files...easiest way to do it is to look at jkb and bot files already in your assets0.pk3 file. The jkb file goes to base/botfiles and the bot file goes to base/scripts. The ones in the assets file have plenty of remark statements in them and they should be able to point the way...you can customize everything from the saber color, the things they say, their force powers, and even if they prefer to use a saber or guns.

Honestly, the best way to learn is to just poke around and see how they have it set up normally. Only tools you need are Winzip(or something else that opens pk3 files) and notepad.exe

If you downloaded someone's skin that has a bot in it, then you can easily open it. Open the pk3 file the skin and bot came in with winzip. You should see two files probably with the same name, but different extentions. Like say you got a skin of some guy named Joe. Chances are his bot will also be named Joe, so look for two files named Joe.bot and Joe.jkb in the pk3 file. Open the bot and jkb files with notepad and just take a look at how things are set up. If a line begins with // then it means the entire line is just a remark put in by whoever made the bot. Usually these are called rem statements. Rem statements make no difference to the bot at all, but they will tell you what the code is doing and how to customize it. Because of this, you have a set of instructions right in the file you have to edit.

The bot file has things such as the name of the bot, color of the saber, what model they use, and what jkb file they use. Think of the bot file as an identification card or something. Like say Joe uses the name "Joe", has a green lightsaber, uses the "Jedi" model, and has a jkb file found in botfiles/Joe.jkb

The file of Joe.bot would look like this.

{

name "Joe"

model jedi

color1 3

personality botfiles/Joe.jkb

}

That's it. Save the text file as "Joe.bot" in the folder of base/scripts which probably doesn't exist. Make it. Now to make things easy, you can give Joe another bot's personality file(jkb file) and customize just a few things. Let's say you want Joe to be a darkside evil Jedi type bot. Open the assets0.pk3 file in your base folder, and look for "Desann.jkb". When you find it, open it and take a look around...at first it probably looks like total jibberish, but the rem statements make at least some of the numbers make sense. The line of "GeneralBotInfo" should be well explained by the rem statements just above it. I haven't fiddled too much with these, but it's pretty simple with the rem statements right there. Force Powers on the other hand is a little more complicated... There should be a line that starts with "forceinfo" and followed by a whole mess of numbers. Underneath those numbers are letters, and there are more letters below that. If you read it from top to bottom, the letters are actually descriptions of force powers. Basically the number above the letters tell you what level of each force power the bot has. The rem statement tells you not to exceed 20 total force points, and we all know the rem statements are omniscent. Now on my .jkb files, the force power list is moved over by one space...it could just be my system that reads them like that, but don't worry if yours looks like it too. It's sorta hard to explain it on the board, but just follow the rem statements and you should be fine. At the bottom of the .jkb file, you should find things such as "I shall have my revenge!" and "Your weakness sickens me." You get the idea. These are things that he will yell in battle. You can tell when each statement is made usually just by the context of the speech. You can just replace the sentences with your own, and they will appear in game. The .jkb file should go in the folder of base/botfiles and it's a good idea to name it the same as your .bot file. So, if you named the first Joe.bot, then you should name the .jkb as Joe.jkb just so you instantly know whose it is. Just be sure that the name you have in the .bot file after "personality" matches the name you give the .jkb file.

This kinda got longwinded, sorry. :D Was there something specifically you weren't getting?

Archived