Home

Barge -- Re: Robeless maul

Aiee

I would've emailed you this, but you switched it off in your profile ;]

Anyway, I took the liberty of having a look at your robeless maul skin. I thought it would be rather silly if I came out with a nearly identical skin shortly after, so I decided to stop working on my version.

Anyway - without any offense intended - the quality of the tattoos on the body could use a little tweaking. right now, they look like you used the polygonal lasso to construct them, which kinda clashes with the whole body and all.

You mentioned in your readme that you wanted to improve several things, namely (quoting from the readme):

Gloves could become tattoed foreams & hands

Tatts could be more faithfull to character

So I would make you an offer: Rather than have two (nearly) identical skins of the same character out to create confusion, I'll make you some high-res textures of the tattooed areas, like the one shown at the bottom of this post.

You seem to already have a torso muscles texture done, so if I could borrow a non-tattooed version, it'd make it easier for me to add them. I should be able to remove the current tattoos through some clever magic in CMYK chanels, but there might be a loss of overall quality as a result of this.

I could probably do some tweaking to the other textures we well, but paid graphical design and my thesis (which I really should be working on rather than playing games ;)) leave me with precious little time to do this in.

Anyway, if you're interested in me messing around with the tattoos and working on a more detailed version, gimme a yell here and we'll figure something out.

[the promised sample textures]

face.jpg

face2.jpg

Aiee,

I'm more than happy to let you at the torso of my skin, seeing the detail in your skin still amazes me. And yeh, the tatts were done with the poly lasso (at a point in development, where I was not sure on how serious I was going to take this whole "skinning thing")... so yes, I suck :)

There are some specifics that I would want to go over, perhaps via e-mail as you suggested - just use the one in the readme to get in contact

- Barge

I'm pretty sure the tattoos are directly over his lip. I'll double-check that as soon as I've dug up a good high-quality refernce (probably from starwars.com)

anyway, Barge, check your mail. My mail server is being its bratty old self, so gimme a yell if the mail hasn't shown up yet and I'll resend :]

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Location/8811/mag7.html

Theres a pic. Looks like they cover his lip where it isn't wet.

Barge: just d/led teh skin I'll give some more feedback when i see him ingame. Been waiting for this one.

Aiee, I was wondering how you got you lines for the Tatoos so clean?

I'm making a model and started skinning her face, she's a Female Zabrak, and have freehande everything so far, using lots of layers, but my edges on her tatts need some more cleanup.

Can you leave some details.

http://www.sphosting.com/cheshirekat/ZabrakFaceSkinBegun.jpg

Here's a pic of her face Skin progress.

Help would be apreciated, since I'm a Photoshop newb.

I assume it is kind of pointless to ask, since both of you appear intent on using the same model again...

But...

...Please...

...PLEASE...

Make a completely unhooded robeless version of him instead.

He looks nothing short of ridiculous with that hood.

It is pointless for him to wear it, with his torso naked.

At least, that is what I have to add on the topic.

Hm...You did not see Septic Child´s "Ultimate Maul"...did you ?!?

I prefer his take on Maul´s head for a few lightyears distance to any unfit "sure-my-upper-body-is-naked-but-that-does-not-mean-I-cannot-wear-a-hood-for-no-reason-at-all" look.

The difference is that horns are tiny...

Think about that for a moment.

Kjinn.... I'm thinking now....

[A moment passes]

Ok. I've thought. I still don't like your tone.

Please realize that a non-hooded maul is not merely a question of removing the hood. it is also a question of redoing several skins, namely face, torso, arms and possibly the legs as well. I am offering to help redo some of Barges textures because I really like his skin -- hood included, and because it is a relatively minor job.

Please enlighten me as to how a forum full of people who mainly whine and berate the work of others justifies spending time on redoing a skin from the beginning, when I could spend the time doing graphics (Paid work. My usual fee rests between US$ 100 and US$ 150 per hour depending on the client), database programming (paid work. My usual fee rests between US$ 200 and US$ 250 per hour), working on my thesis and application for the Technical University of Denmark (needs to be done by june 1st) or spending quality time with the woman I love.

If you indeed think that a maul with a hood is so bad, then just don't download the skin.

--------------------------------------

CheshireCat

First, thanks for the refernce picture. All I had were the sketches from starwars.com to work with. I'll update the face picture next time I have time to spare.

I saw your skin/model and wanted to comment, but I had little to add. ;] It is a very promising model, and I know at least 2 female duellists who will be more than happy to ditch tavion once the sdk is released.

I do my tattoos in illustrator. I export the un-tattooed skin to illustrator, draw the tattoos there, then export them back into photoshop as paths. You can do this with the pen tool as well, but illustrator 9 offers (in my opinion) far better tools for the task. Once I have the paths inported, I fill them with the general color of "ink" I want the tattoo to be made of, and set the layer to overlay, hard light or burn (depending on my mood) and mess with the opacity.

I like drawing tattoos (though I have none myself. I don't like the idea of somethign staying on my body permanently, in case I get tired of a design), and I'll be more than willing to go over your skin and redo the tattoos if you send me a refernce picture and an un-tattooed base to work on, should you wish :] Good luck on the model

Barge: Just checket out your skin ingame.

Woot!

Looks very nice. I like the gloves on, and though I can see the Lasso Tool, It still looks great! Thanks for adding a bot too. Forgont to check the Taunt. Did you change it? Oh well I'll check it out later.

Aiee: Thanks. I'm not really looking for help, since I kinda like to do my work myself. Just a pride thing I guess, but thanks for the help.

I am however going to be looking for talented Skinners for her when the UV's are finished.

Kjinn: Calm down. First of all Barge's Skin is one of the best so far, and if you don't like it, try being less sarcastic. Horns are a must for a real maul effect without a hood, and thiser hooded skins are very nice replacement for the lack of them.

See ya's round.

Cheshire -- Of course ;]

Ok... Lemme write up a quick how-to and take some screenshots in PS for explanation. Gimme 15 mins -- 30 mins tops, and I'll have a proper explanation for how to do it without using Illustrator ;]

I haven't gotten around shading yet (I'll hopefully find time for that tonight), but I've gotten most of the torso tattoos marked in.

Can anyone find any glaring mistakes in them I should fix before moving on to shading?

Also, Barge, my mail is still messed up a bit (that's the problem with havign your own mail server. You got noone to ***** and moan to when it goes down ;)), so while I can still read my mail, sending replies is a wee bit complicated. Hope it's ok that I'll be sluggish in replying to emails.

tattootest.jpg

Hahaha, looking at my attempt at the torso now just makes me laugh... haha, poly lasso sucks :)

cheshire - I can't really say much, she looks kick ass at the moment, even whilst in development.

But she looks very calm, is that intentional ?

aiee, don't worry about e-mail at the mo, you got the base file alright so that's all that matters. Hope it doesn't stuff you up when you come to shading (I still don't like the back muscles that much)

- Barge

Well, I prolly won't be messing with the muscles that much. the tattoos will draw mos tof the immediate attention of the eye, rendering the muscles a lot less important. Right now, I'm working with the colors, trying to hit the right shades of red and black

I've just posted a shirtless version of my Ultimate Maul skin to JKII so it should be up soon.

Just wanted to say that I think the robeless Maul looks fine with the hood. Don't see what people are whining at. I've made hooded and unhooded versions anyway.

btw very nice work Aiee. How'd you save your jpg's so nice and clean??

I use adobe photoshop 6.0's lovely "save for web" feature. The high-quality jpgs are saved interlaced at 80 quality (out of 100)

Speaking of, here's what the torso and face are currently looking like. Can anyone spot any cglaring errors with the tattoo patterns?

maulfront.jpg

maulback.jpg

maulpose.jpg

maulface.jpg

Hehe... I'm not finished yet ;]

Mind you, the tattoos on the hoodless one aren't entirely accurate. The black bit at the bottom of his abdomen is split into several lines, and the red area extends further down on the back ;]

the hooded one isn't in a pose where I can easily tell the tattoos, but he looks accurate enough. :] Nice work

Great work mate , well done

I dont mean to be a pain in the @r$3 but if u had the time could you use the same model and keep the hood but put a cloak on it to. I havent seen a "working" one yet , there was one but it had the centre of the body missing on the skin :confused:

but great work mate congratulations you deserve it

Archived