Home

how are people making maps?

Evil_Ferret

If someone is creative and experienced enough with making Quake3 engined maps, they you will find that they are 95% the same between games.

Set up the Radient Editor the same way that you would Quake3/EF/RCTW, then use the new textures which can be found in the jk .pk3 files. Then use a q3 map decompiler to find the entities that are used. Recreate them in the editor to put into the new map. Then look up shader information. If you have most of those, then you can map for JKII.

Cyclone

Originally posted by Coligeon

Yeah, what is takin'so long for the editing tools to come out?

My guess is the reason it's taking so long is because they need to be able to test it with user made maps, but as far as I know of so far, only 1 map has been sent to them to test. So, maybe they need some more people to send them maps for them to test the tools out on/with before they can finalize the product.

This is just my own guess, however...

I'm quite fluent with WorldCraft(Halflife map builder) so I'm doing all the brush work on a few of my maps, and am working with the textures atm too. Those who know WC I'm sure will say things that its for HL and it's mods, but I'm only doing the main brush work and they forget it exports into a .map file(this is unversally recognised, I have yet to find a map builder that doesn't support this). I am only using WC because I'm already fluent with it, and don't have the time atm to learn another builder. Long story short, expect a few things from me almost as soon as the building tools are released.

Archived