Home

Yeah, another map...

Tigris

So, I decided to release some WIP-Pics of my Cantina map.

Just tell me what you think.

More details will be added soon and I'm thinking about expanding it a bit more into the neighborhood....

cantina1.jpeg

Now I know it is dark, but I won't lighten it up- that would spoil the feels I think :D

Currently I'm using a mix from exellent textures from Tems- Map (Big "Thanks" btw in his direction :) ) and some old standart Quake 3 things.

cantina2.jpg

As you perhaps have noticed, the main bar is still pretty empty- but since no customers are present either it shouldn't be too bad ;)

So suggestions please!

Does anyone know where I can find images of the front door of the cantina? Haven't seen ANH for quite a while and I'm not really buying the scale of that door (from the tech-guide): It looks like a simple 5 foot door :confused:

The outside isn't finished yet, so it looks very blocky, but as soon as you can look at it without being reminded of the old doom days I'll post pics too!

suggestion: whats that rodian's name that solo waxes? maybe have him sitting in thee corner drinking. yeah i know he was dead by this point.

it looks great. it imho really has that cantina feel. reminds me a bit of an old turkish bath-house i was in once too.

GREEDO! that was his name. yeah. greedo.

nice work.

-Tems

[edit: one more thing. there's a bit of legal mess about using q3 textures, so id be sure to replace those before releasing the map.]

So, yeah- I'm working right now on the bar and the band stand... (In my unofficial version I have even added the bands-music ;) , but I have to figure that out with LA before releasing the final).

Does anyone have a nice flesh-like shader with a cloth-texture? I'm currently using one of the Q3-Flesh-Textures for the cloth that are hanging behind the bar (the red ones in the screens).

As for proportions: It actually (if I believe the Tech-Manual again) is almost too narrow, but especially when moving around in those boots I opend the distances between the tables and chairs- otherwise you would be jumping over the tables whenever being there...

But now I'm looking for Greedo :D

Well, I used the force a bit and found some new images of the cantina (and audios for the final :) ). Right now I added some windows (smal ones) and perfected the front door, but see for your self! If you recognize the dark boot over to the right of the cantina- that is the band-stand. It'll get some nice lights and such (perhaps some modeler can create them when the SDK is out).

cantina3.jpg

Showing the entrance with the droid-detection unit

cantina4.jpg

Details on the Bar (will get a nicer texture soon (perhaps even a mirror)

cantina5.jpg

The front-entrance

cantina6.jpg

The power-supply for the bar (Now look what Tems didn't want us to see! BAD BAD BOY!!! ;) )

cantina7.jpg

The entrance seats- will at least get a new texture (perhaps even new design)

cantina8.jpg

One of the boots (see the nice double-chairs?? Anyone has a nice2look@ female model around for the time between DM? :D)

So far for now- I'll post again when I have finished the bar, the cellar and finished the roof!

Opinions please...

hahahahahaha

you killed my textures. :) those hex ones are meant to be fitted to a hex.

i'll get you the newer textures next week if you still want em. ive got a busy week this week (exams) so im not working on tatooine that much until after the weekend.

looks good tho. what do you have in mind as far as items on the bar/tables?

-Tems

Sure, still want them ;)

As far as this week I'm quite busy myself (exams too) but hopefully next week will be a bit better (29th will be my last exam, but I hope I'll get some time before that)!

As far as items: I'm thinking about redoing the lights on the tables (perhaps with light-emiting textures; so far my experiments with lights above them weren't too good), several different glasses should be possible (perhaps even with liquids in them, but that would be a bit overdetailed...)- bottles and some tubes from the classic movie will be on the bar...

Really would like to see NPC's in the bar too (Greedo or his remains included too ;) ).

howdy. i was looking at this and wondering if you had any portals and hint brushes in there yet. youve got the spaces for em and you could probably reduce the r_speeds a bit.

as for the jawas, i could model them for you so long as you dont want them to do anything :)

-Tems

/Actually I already have those sound on my pc- for this map (but I decided to leave out utinni, it would sound strange inside the cantina ;) ).

So far I have no hint's in it, but I really should add them (r_speeds of between 6000 and 17000 are really a bit too nasty).

I thought about puting hints in the windows and at every arch- what about the doors? Should I place hints there too?

AB_Legion: I wouldn't mind- original plan for it was to be part of a larger Mos Eisley map, but then I would really get this r_speed problems out of the way...

I really miss those JK1 NPC's now. They just made such a level seem more alive. Think about Greedo (or some Rodian who looks really alike) to sit in one corner and talking to someone else. I really had high hopes when I entered the Nar Shadaa- Bar in Single Player, but was utterly disapointed that all guests turned on me, just because I had forgotten to hide my lightsaber and asked one wrong question... OH COMON! If you ask one wrong question in a bar here you worst case get slaped by the woman next to you- not the whole bar is suddenly wanting to kill you! Even if SOME of them were his body-guards- Not every single person in the club must be on that rodians payrole! I mean: Even the cooks had disruptors! WHAT THE HECK??? :D

So, loaded some new pictures up. Hope they are to your liking.

cantina24.jpg

Someone care to make the band as models? (When the SDK is out) Would be nice!

cantina25.jpg

The cellar, anyone knows of additional things I could add here?

cantina26.jpg

I've began building the next shop to the west- but don't know what it should sell... Droids and Speeder-Parts are reserved. Any suggestions?

cantina27.jpg

Build some test-tables where I could add the things- for example I added something like plates (dunno what it actually is ;) )

cantina28.jpg

i can model some NPCs for you if you like. lemme know what you want. thing is, if you have the band, you prolly need them drinking at the bar or you need the music.

How much of the outside are you doing? What are you doing to make the boundaries? id be interested to see what you have in mind.

-Tems

Well, for the models: I really would love to see some NPC's in there, but let's wait for the SDK first.

The boundaries: I don't know. I will try to make as much as possible (I'm heading for the docking bay where Han stayed). I will try to make the best balance between gamespeed, athmosphere and framerates. Perhaps I will do a extra-large map to use in the RPG-Mod (if it will ever be planned). Until then I'm modelling the flea market. then I think the next thing will be the landspeeder-sale and after that I think I won't have any framerate left :(

But we'll see.

Originally posted by Tems

[edit: one more thing. there's a bit of legal mess about using q3 textures, so id be sure to replace those before releasing the map.]

REALLY???? I re-created q3dm17 (The Longest Yard) for Red Faction using all custom quake 3 textures! Will i get in trouble?

Archived