Home

New SP-only Jan Skins - Feedback wanted. **SPOILERS** Beat the game first..

Wes Janson SMR

All right. I'm new to this skinning thing. I mean, I've done tons of self-made stuff for TheSims, but this Quake 3 format's pretty different.

I've whipped up two skins here - not quite ready for download (if any). First, I need some feedback from you all to see if putting them up is even worth while.

Now... Let me continue the **SPOLER** warning. If you haven't beaten the game, I suggest you don't look at these skins, nor should you read on any further. Click back and go somewhere else.

Now before I get to the screenshots link, let me just explain a little. The two skins I did are called "Stealth Jan" and "Tortured Stealth Jan". I use the term Stealth loosely, only because I've dressed Jan in black. In fact, my skin's just a re-coloring of the one already done by Raven. I was just fooling around, thinking that Jan and Kyle were supposed to infiltrate a base. Why would they do it dressed in a mechanics cargo vest and casual sweater, respectively?

I thought her outfit was pretty neat. She'd definately look the part if she wore a black variant. So I retouched her uniform, and I'm pretty happy with the way it looks. So happy, in fact, I wanted to share it with you all. But since this is the first time EVER that I've considered releasing a skin, I thought it'd be prudent to get some feedback. On it.

My second skin, tentatively called "Tortured Stealth Jan" is something I worked a lot harder on. Thank god for layering technology. '-)

But I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm no woman beater, or any nonesense like that. I had to really think if I should share my latter one with you all beacause of its somewhat violent nature. But we're all adults here, and I think it deserves an explination.

As we all know, Jan was captured and brutally "tortured" and interrogated by Galak's minions. Now when I rescued her, she looked perfectly fine - and she had all her gear and everything. Using the NPC config, I stripped away her gear, and then I skinned in a more appropreate varriant that depicts a more battered Jan. One that fits with the evil nature of the Remnants.

The way I play it, I use Stealth Jan for the beginning portions of the game, and switch PK3 files to the Tortured Jan mod. It meshes quite nicely.

Anyway, on to the screenshots. I just wanted to warn you all about it - and to let you know that it's not representative of my personal nature.

Click here for the complete pic set.

There are 15 pics total.

Again, any feedback is welcome. And keep in mind that this is my first (and probably last) attempt at skin editing.

Originally posted by infinity_blade

Nice Skinning if I say so myself.

This is kinda off topic, but has anyone noticed Jan looks sorta like Janeane Garofalo???

I dunno.. maybe it's just me.....

Anyway... good job!

THE BOWLER!!!! hooray, (somebody make Mystery Men skins quick please!).

I like the skins Wes, it's always good to see someone who isn't afrais to step out a bit and raise the bar fort everyone else a little higher, i wouldn't worry about offending anyone though considering that people are pretty much offended by anything now days (real or imagined).

Very nice recolour job!

They both look much more stylish.

I think you should definately release these and make sure you make them SP change friendly because myself and some others are still having a really hard time getting our SP switcheroo's to work.

Good stuff Janson.

Cool. Thanks for the feedback, guys. I just haven't fully figured out how I could impliment this the way I want to. I mean, it works great for me, but my methods are very inefficient, and take up much more room than they should - which would also account for a large download size. I'll work on that.

As for the Kyle skin, it's JRA Wolf's kick-arse Dark Kyle skin. I just changed the head for Single Player purposes - but I use the full skin in MP. It rocks!

And on that note, my Jan skins are Single Player-only. I mean, it's really only a color change. '-)

I appreciate the feedback, guys. I'll report back when I get home from work...in about eight hours.. Oy.

Oh, and Alkaizer, there was thread very recently specifically about that. It should still be around here somewhere. But if you want the Kyle skin, go to the main JKII site and look for a "Dark Kyle" by JRA Wolf ford download.

The only real suggestions I have for them would probably be:

1.) Bring out a few of the smaller details. Make them have more highlights, and if you're want less highlights, make a few smaller details a slight bit lighter so that they stand out a wee bit better.

Like buttons, or maybe some gear on the belt...

2.) The roughed up skins is good, but I'd add a little fraying to the edge of the tear in her shirt. That and maybe add a color or two more to the bruise in very slight amounts and feather it out some to give it a teeny bit more detail. Possibly add a slight noise to it in a lighter variety.

Both suggestions are something merely to try.... It doesn't look too bad the way they are, and I'm not quite sure how they'd look with these suggestions either.

Anyway, I would keep skinning if I were you. Looks like you could have some good ideas in there. :)

Heh.. I'm just not sure how many more "ideas" I've got left. '-)

But I just realized something.... I took those screens in 16-bit color and it's only on the High texture quality... Hmm.. That's quite a forsight for taking pics, eh? Heheh. ;-)

Thanks for the suggestions, Infinity. The only problem is that with the textures being so dark, it's a pain in the ass to bring out more details. But I'll definately see what I can come up with.

And as for the tares on Jan's clothes, most of them are actually burnt. Upon closer inspection (and at a higher detail level), the burns are more evident on the edges. There are only two intentional "tares". I tried adding some white threads around the edges (the inside material being white), but it looked really questionable. I guess I'm not that good a skinner yet.

But hey, it's a work-in-progress!

I'm smelling a release in a day or two. Keep your fingers crossed, everyone.

That's impossible, because these skins aren't even uploaded yet!! ;-)

Oh, you're probably referring to the Kyle one. I can't explain it to you right now, though. I'm going to bed right after I hit the "send reply" button. Hasn't anyone responed to your previous post about this?

Archived