Home

Question for the current Skin Editors (Absath, etc)

Wolfspyder

I'm interested in trying my hand at some skin editing but I am not certain as to how to get my foot in the door.

My question is what program(s) are you guys using to edit the skins? And do you know of any good tutorials to help me get started?

Thanks for your help.

:fett:

i personally use photoshop 6.0. its a wonderfully powerful program, and makes everything extremly easy to use. im sure its possible to skin with less powerful graphics programs, but i can imagine it would be alot more difficult. what program you use can really limit your options of what skins to tackle. some effects just really cant be accomplished with MS paint ;)

as far as tutorials..they're scattered, but out there. start with Quake 3 skinning tutorials, since that is a fairly recent game and has a large mod community. planetquake etc should have links. you can also try Tribes 2 sites, as they have a fairly active skinning community as well.

and of course you can always drop me an email with a question or two if you get stuck somewhere, or cant quite achieve an effect you want.

good luck!

-Abs

EDIT- PS: look through all of the tutorials, then try to blend what you've learned. that way you'll develope your own style, rather than just following step by step what someone else does...you may discover a better way of doing things!

Thanks for the help Absath. I think I have an idea of how to get the skins into a photo editing program so I'll give it a shot tomorrow afternoon or sometime this weekend. Also, the email function is disabled on the boards for some reason, what is your email?

:fett:

Archived