Home

My take at a realistic, official mod to Lightsaber Combat..

PiousAugustus99

Well, I see a lot of requests to change the way lightsabres work in this game, and while all of them are awesome and would be incredible, I do not think Raven would create a whole lightsabre battle system just to completely revamp it in a patch...

So I had a idea which I find totally plausible, very simple, and would make lightsabre battling THAT much more fun, and require more skill...Now, I know someone already suggested this idea but it was much more complex, and one that although was brilliant, but one that I do not think Raven would consider...

Basically, I just think that the second mouse button should be set to a new lightsabre stance which would be the "defensive stance".

Players would hold down right click to enter this stance and while in this stance, they will hold their sabre directly in front of them and the A.I. will pretty much automatically try to block all of the attacks that come their way. After a while however your guard breaks down a la Vader style in RotJ. The only new animation needed would be 2 or 3 more lightsabre blocks, the new stance, and the defensive break down. (BTW, alternatively, you could also just release the defensive stance, take a few hits if you would rather do that instead of breaking down definsively.) No offensive animations would be needed.

Reasons why this would be smart...

- It would actually encourage people to put points on the lightsabre defensive force as it would increase greatly the chance to block incoming attacks.

- There will actually be strategy involved with the three stances...I can see so much strategy already using this sort of thing...

- Fast - Offensive rushers would use this style to bum rush the opponent getting in a lot of hits.

- Medium - Would be the preferred stance for fighting, probably newbies and veterans alike will use this.

- Strong - This stance will be the only stance powerful enough for the saber to break through defenses while damaging the opponent a lot.

If any of you have a few tweaks, let me know...I am planning to send this in to Raven, and if they won't accept it, I would probably try and find a team where we could make a simple duel MOD and make this happen...But only if there is enough interest in it...

I guess this would need to be actually tested out in the game before people could say it is or isn't good. But at least in single player the blocking system works great as it is. That said however the multiplayer blocking seems to be patheticly useless - level 3 defense and you still only block a small percentage of blaster shots from even people directly ahead of you. And sabres are just as bad at blocking.

Perhaps just make the mod so it auto-blocks in MP to the same level as SP blocking? Level 3 SP blocking pretty much blocks EVERY shot coming to you except disruptors and alt-fire repeater and other explosive shots. This would really help out and make people use lightsabres to take on lightsabre-wielding opponents.

But if the defensive stance were to exist as instead of aut-blocking (doing the same as auto-blocking except making it manual) that would be awesome! Also be able to block shots from behind too! This could use new animations to see the sabre around the back of you just like in the final Ep1 duel between Obi and Maul have Obi lifted the sabre over his head. The hilt was at the back of his head with the blade running along his back to his ass (not touching of course) as Maul tried to strike his back. This was in a quick series of strikes maul was doing to Obi's front, back, and front. I'm sure many of you remember it and if not, take a quick look at the Obi-Maul duel (just after Qui gets killed).

Since I am kind of drifting now, I will submit this.

Originally posted by obijonkenobi

That said however the multiplayer blocking seems to be patheticly useless - level 3 defense and you still only block a small percentage of blaster shots from even people directly ahead of you.

I don't know what your experience is, but I've killed plenty of people trying to gun me down in Jedi Master just by blocking and deflecting the shots back at them.

I don't know what your experience is, but I've killed plenty of people trying to gun me down in Jedi Master just by blocking and deflecting the shots back at them.

I've been unlucky I guess. But the blocking in MP is no where near as great as the SP blocking - you have to admit that much.

Originally posted by obijonkenobi

I've been unlucky I guess. But the blocking in MP is no where near as great as the SP blocking - you have to admit that much.

In my experience, the blocking in Mp is as great as Sp.

Maybe you should check that you better keep in light stance while blocking shots.Other stances(medium and strong) sometimes miss a lot,especially someone aim your legs.

when It comes to sentry assult , is another story.

wish you luck.

I think it's a combination of what stance you are in, and how much points in defense you have.

If you think about it it makes sense.

Light stance: A bunch of fast and light attacks, the very method of attacks used in this stance means you're never off balance, and have complete control of the saber making it easier to move the blade defensively to block.

Medium: you know medium, blah

Heavy: You're not caring about finesse anymore with this stance. It's all about the power behind it. Basically, comparing heavy stance to light stance is like comparing someone fighting with a baseball bat to someone fighting with a rapier or a fencing foil. The person with the baseball bat is just going to power his weapon into you, while the foil is going to use finesse and a lot of quick strikes. Anyhow, as you're not caring as much about accuracy, you don't have as much control over the saber, making it harder to keep it in line for defense.

For me in the game theres nothing more fun than to single some one out... switch the saber off, walk up to them...watching the sparks fly off the ground as it points into the floor, taunting them, and challenginf them to a fight.

The highpoint being when the sabers occasionally lock , and I find myself pressing the attack button at 1000 miles/hr to push them onto the ground.

Reality is though, most times I get wasted in 3 seconds, but damn I feel invincible when weilding the saber for the 1st 2 hehe.

To add to the experience, I think that implementing a key/mouse button to block an incoming attack....to a reasonable degree would add to the battles, in length, skill, and be more fun..

just my 2 cents....

I think it's fine the way it is.....maybe they should make it so that you block more saber from the enemy but instead making the hits that you actually land more deadly.

As somone pointed out that would give it a more movie feel to it.....you don't see combatants in the movie hitting each other all the time. Once somebody lands a hit it's usually a kill, but you don't need to take it to that extreme only make it block more and the few hits that you get in do more damage.

Archived