Home

POLLL: Help the pirates or not?

moby323

Should we answer basic questions found in the manual?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should we answer basic questions found in the manual?

• No, these are obviously pirating scum.
    • No, these are obviously lazy bastards who should RTFM!!
    • Yes, I think it is good to always help people, even if they are lazy or thieves.

I really do think it's a good idea to help people. No matter what instance, it's just common courtesy, how would you like it if you asked a simple question about wall walking and someone screamed RFTM at you? I certainly wouldn't be thrilled to have that happen to me all the time.

Seriously even if you think that a person could have a "pirated" version ON THE WHOLE most people asking questions will only be newbs who iether havn't read the manual OR still don't understand the manual OR are just asking innocent questions that they possibly missed in the manual. I'm sure I've missed a few things and I would prefer someone helping me then giving me the blank regard of "RTFM!!".

Sure, maybe reading the manual is best - BUT it's alot nicer and is just common courtesy to help out other people in need, there is no point to just give them an order where you in turn could just help them. Also while helping that person he as well could help others who ask. Everything gets spread in the beginning, do you want "RTFM" going around? or would you prefer "Sure, This is how you do...". Eventually some people will become annoyed that every person they ask help from keep saying the same phrase over and over.

If you give the courtesy to bother and help a person out, he in turn will help others even if they are scum sucking wareZ people that deserve a fiery hell (did I get carried away? :)). If you just blow a person with "RTFM" then he will also follow suit and treat others in the same way. If you want a good community of gamers and people then "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" - I had to put that phrase in :)

Cheers ;)

Bleargh this question doesnt even need to be asked.

My response to any stupid question (not more sensible newbie questions like where is whatever on the map, how do i get better at saber fighting or such) is

"First, you buy the game, then you RTFM."

if they ARENT pirates and just lazy, well they already bought the game so they must rtfm

if they ARE pirates, then unless they go out and buy it theyll never know, (from me at least)

Whether the person simply didn't read the manual or pirated the game, you should still be nice to them. Saying "OMG RTFM U MORON" just makes you look like an asshole, and pretty soon nobody will want to play on the same server with you.

If you didn't know how to check the oil in your car, and you asked somebody how to, and they replied "RTFM MORON", how would you feel? After all, instructions on changing the oil ARE in the owner's manual. Sometimes it's just easier to ask somebody than it is to hunt down a manual.

If somebody doesn't know how to do something, just tell them how to do it. It's not very hard to put a bit of kindness into the game.

I have an excellent example of myself. I live abroad, in netherlands. I am Swedish but do not speak the language very good. So, when buying a game I can not allways understand all things in the manual, especially if there is some complex stuff you need the manual in order to know about it. In such circumstances I might need some help from the Forum.

Usually you can find most info just by checking out the sites, you don't need someone from the forum to asnwer your questions, unless very specific stuff or something out of the ordinary.

Yse, I have gotten back replies after those occations when in need of an answer to RTFM. Evven though I specified my problem.

No, the forum is there to help. Some people might just not be able to understand certain basic things, due to their lack of experience.

Originally posted by moby323

Do you think we should answer basic questions that are found in the manual?

I think you should chill out, i fyou want to know the truth.

You can simply point them to the manual [as in Check page x in youtr manual] with ut the RTFM remark, or just ignore thier question, but anything ouutside of that, and your no longer participating in the forums as they were intended.

Guest Forceflow

I generally think you should answer questions you know the answer to or keep your mouth shut.

Posting a 'RTFM' just to up your post count and to piss whoever asked the question off is simply stupid. If you really believe all those people posting stupid questions didn't buy the game but pirated it simply don't answer them. But make that a choice of your own and don't make stupid polls out of the topic.

Archived