Home

Possible to open models in Gmax?

grellin

I'm hoping to just extract a head model and alter that as a beginner's project, but I'm not sure if you can open the models in gmax... seems like if you could everyone could just use that as a viewer... anyway, could someone tell me how to extract the models to alter them?

JK2 uses a completely different animation system from Quake 3. That's why the .glm format (GhouL Model perhaps?) is used instead of .md3's. Md3's are still used for things like weapons, but player models use the .glm because the Ghoul system is much more flexible (making player models in Q3 is quite limited actually).

As for gMax, the program itself uses a proprietary format to save files, which can't be opened in any program other than gMax (not even 3d Studio Max which gMax is pretty much a clone of). To save in other formats, you have to have the exporting plugins for that format. To my knowledge, only Quake 3 and Dungeon Siege exporters have been made. I believe the game company has to make the exporters and not Discreet, which is why there aren't many exporters out yet.

Archived