Home

modelling new lightsaber hilts+getting them into the game??

haplofxp

i want to make a new hilt(handle) in a program such as cinema 4d, where can i learn about getting this hilt into the game??

ie,

what poly count is it supposed to be?

how do i turn it into the appropriate game model file format? what program do i use to skin it etc etc???

ps. another thing, if i open the hilt at parts and make it transparent will it be possible to see the blade through an opening in the hilt while in the game?? my own guess is that the sdk will be needed but i dont know.....

I've never used Cimema 3D so I'm not sure if it will work or not.

You will be able to use Studio Max, and I beleive you can use GMax when the tools are released. Gmax is similar to StudioMax, but it's Free.

Polycount on the MP saber is 534.

To turn it into the right format you'll have to wait for the tools, but I'm not sure, because I think it's an MD3 and there is already a MAX to MDS exporter out there.

As far as making part of the handle transparent and seeing the saber through it, if you are talking about Alpha Mapping a transparency on the Skin File for the MP saber from the game, I don't think you could to that. The TAG is right at the top of the saber which tells me that the blade sits directly on the top of the handle.

If you are talking about making a Model of your own, then you certainly could do this by bringing the TAG further into the saber. But modeling it that way would probably be the best way, so you could make up for the glow that extends form the blade.

so the blade is part of the model and if you are making the hilt you would also have to model the blade(and/or move the starting point of the blade(tag)??

i am really confused, does that mean you can change lenght of blade etc?? what happens to collision detection if you do that?? please give me a little more detail on what can be edited from the light saber........without having to add any code to the game

No, the blade is not a part of the model. I sits directly on top of the model. As in right on top of where you see it come out.

A TAG defines where the saber is attatched. And another TAG determines where the characters hand grabs onto the handle. So all you have to worry about is the handle for modeling.

Then if you want to do tricky things like you were saying, then you have to make a TAG and attatch it as needed.

All standard hanles woud put the TAG directly on top of the handle.

I know it sound confusing, and so far I only know this from reading up on it, but you'll get the jist of it once we get some good TUTs.

Guest seantree

Messiah , my tags are a mess. could you tell me where I should place them?? the blade is in the hilt and the saber floats in front of the players hand :/ any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks

flash er whatever tag it is has to be where you wan the blade to come out, and the other about midway down. also place the saber model so the middle is on the origin...helps the position i think.... use the original saber by importing it, and scale and position according to that.

here is a shot of how my tags look

to get this into the game...but i won't bother posting my pic of it in game cause its not finished

http://www.sphosting.com/merebusm/sabertags.jpg

hope this helps

Guest seantree

doesn't work man. i'd appreciate it if you could do that for me. I also tried it with milkshape, but no tags showed. which saber did you import?

i got a custom saber in place of the regular saber but the texture simply wouldn't show.

:\

looked the same as messiah's - anyone know why? i think it might have to do with shader setup but i'm stumped for now

the texture shows up in md3 view, and the model is in the game but it is plain...

Archived