1. 1. How's JK2 on your system?

• It plays faultlessly
    • I have installation problems
    • I have networking problems
    • I have sound problems
    • I have gfx problems
    • I have freezing problems
    • I have controller problems

Can you please vote here. I think it would be useful for people to know what sort of proportion of jk2'ers are having problems (i appreciate that people tend to be on forums because they're having problems...).

There is another thread on freezing where a guy has done a great job of listing problematic systems, this is just a numbers thing.

Thanks.

I don't know what I've done to my system but I haven't had any problems with the latest games. Jedi Outcast is a real mess for most of the gamers just like C&C Renegade, Serious Sam 2, etc. I have never had ny problems with any of these games (especially the Q3Engine-games run great on my rig).

My specs:

Asus A7M266 Mobo

AMD Athlon 1.4 Ghz 266 Mhz

512 MB's of DDR 266 Mhz

Asus V7700 GTS (Geforce 2 GTS Chip) with 32 MB's of DDR

Creative Audigy Firewire (gold connectors)

3Com 3C980 Fast Serverlink

Maxtor 30 Giga 7200RPM UDMA-100

Aopen 16X40 DVD (Slot-in type)

Windows XP Home Edition (using every update possible)

Detonator 21.83

Nothing is overclocked and I'm running the game in 800X600X32 with all the details set to high (the GF2 GTS is going to be replaced next month so I can crank up all the details again) and I'm getting a nice and steady FPS of 100 indoors and 70 outdoors.

I am convinced that every rig that has problems is using to little RAM, especially the Q3Engine-games performance is depending the most on this factor in my opinion. One little tweak for the XP-rigs: turn of Prefetcher using regedit, this will increase overall performance for almost every game.

P.S: I voted "runs great"

Greets from the Netherlands.

Technically I had freezing problems but spent a 2 weeks of hard, frustrating work until I finally got mine to run. I'm not sure how stable my system is but I know I had to get a PCI latency patch the has a chance of completely wiping my system out. Oh well, it's all for the cause. Let's see a patch soon Raven!!

Wow, that's weird...I don't think I've ever encountered another Phobos on the internet. But I knew there had to be some out there somewhere...Anyways, my experience has been wonderful, running at 1024/768 with all in-game details maxed out and my graphics card set at 8x Aniso / Quincunx AA with RivaTuner2.0RC10. My frame rate averaged in the 80s with dips to the 50s/60s in large battles. The final level on Yavin, however, brought my mighty system to a crawl with lows in the teens and highs in the 30s during the outside raining portions of the level.

My system configuration:

AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4GHz

ASUS A7M266 Mobo

512MB Crucial PC2100 DDR Memory

40GB IBM Deskstar 60GXP

18GB Western Digital Expert

Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! Platinum

3Com 3C905B-TX Fast Ethernet

Pioneer DVD-103S 6x DVD Drive

Plextor 8x/4x/32x CD-R/W

PNY Verto GeForce 4 TI4400 (oc'd 290/650)

Detonator 28.32's modified by nvchips.fr

and the lovely Windows XP Professional

• 2 weeks later...

Great idea, I really hope this gets the message across to the folks at Raven / LA support, if they haven't already...

I got a reply from support@lucasarts a couple weeks ago to my "cannot load default.cfg, cannot load CON_TXT, cannot locate MSVFW32.DLL" problem in which the guy called it all an installation error. That may be but it sounds just as much like a loading error...

I can successfully start the game by using the jksp.exe on the CD once it's installed, but then you can't save configs or games, so what's the point? I am considering trying to return the game for a refund; blasphemy, I know, but it's the principle of the thing, now.

Considering the amount of problems all you have been having Raven should have done extensive testing with various hardware software configs If your on Xp Make sure your driver versions are the same in the display panel the detonators for xp are in the archive section of nvidia 23.11 2000/xp

Sys specs

:clone:

MSI k7t le with raid mobo

Win Xp pro

amd xp 1800

512 meg ram

yamaha cd rw 24/10/40

Liteon dvd rom 16/40

Soundblaster audigy platinum ex

Klipsch promedia 5.1

Samsung 753df Flatscreen 17"

gf4 ti 4600 with det 23.11 2000/xp

450 watt powersupply

2x fujitsu 7600 rpm 40 gig drives

My copy from day one has luckily worked flawlessly without a hitch

:cool:

Good point Vertex, but we need these 10 people to make us irate people look a little less un-balanced.

krsmith, even if it is an installation problem, it doesn't mean it's something **you** have done. Have read loads of threads where people have had installation probs, it's just Raven ducking the issue.

[MF]PheoniX, I have been in touch with Activision support (UK) and its all the standard check your drivers etc. In the end, the answer for me came from a guy called Darth Jericho on this forum.

Seems to do with how nVidia drivers and Winxp fight over memory:

My solution:

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. No seriosuly, I played the game through without cheats and then again with cheats and I keep playing certain parts over and over and I did not have any crashes and freezes. It's not 100% perfect, I get occasionall graphical glitches, a body stuck in the door that won't open, and sometimes weird slowdowns when I reload after dying but these are minor and far apart. I have a dedicated gaming machine though so perhaps I have less chances of instability and conflicts. I wish the game was as stable for others. Good luck!

Zak

JK2 plays flawlessly for me. No graphical glitches, no slowdowns, and no installation problems.

My key components are:

VIA KT266 mobo (Epox)

Crucial DDR ram

Kyro 2 (Hercules)

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Win98SE (with no Windows Updates and only VIA AGP driver installed)

Good job, Raven! Great game!

I've had instalation problems before with several other games. Different errors for different games. Diablo2 for instance installed "fine" but then reported that some files it copied did not match the CD files. It was the CD-ROM drive.

The thing that clinched it for me then was when I tried to copy a *large* zip file from my game patches CD, winzip would report crc errors when unzipping. Which files exhibited this problem varied when I deleted the zip, and re-copied it. Small files copied fine.

When I replaced the drive, I had no more instalation problems.

My game works fine. I have long single player load times at highest settings (2+ minutes) but after the 1st load, re-loads are 10 seconds if that. Lowered the texture quality 1 from highest, and halved 1st-load times. Set 32bpp color 16 bpp textures, loads are further improved.

Windows 98se

p3-600 at 100 FSB

PNY Geforce3 ti200 64MB card

Abit BH6 (intel BX chipset)

256 MB RAM

Promise66 IDE Controller (UDMA-66)

4 hard drives, game installed on an UDMA-66 drive

50ish speed CD-ROM

Game at 800x600 32bpp with 16bpp textures, everything Highest, and then textures knocked down 1 and geometry knocked down 1

Game worked for me for a week and then would not load up at all. Hoped the patch would take care of this but no dice. So right now the patch has given me no help and the game just sits on shelf waiting for the next one. I will wait though because I got hooked with the little bit of the game I got to play.

The 1.03 patch doesn't mention anything about our freezing problems---only dual AMD and multiplayer. So far Raven has not even publicly acknowledged this seriously distressing situation. If a patch did come out, frankly i'd be afraid to try it. I'll wait until others do and say it is okay. I'm just now, weeks later, finally getting my O/S semi-stable again, after uncountable driver reinstalls, and even an O/S upgrade...

Archived