Home

Having Major Map Editing Problems!!

Shalone

Ok, I got my Map Finished, took me all friggan day, I saved it, then I BSP Compiled it using Radiant, but I cannot find the Damn BSP file, it doesn't even seem like it was saved to my system, can anyone help?... I am gonna watch the board for all viewers.

P.S. this is my first ever map for a total 3d game, last game I made maps for was Duke

It should be in the /base/maps directory or wherever you saved the .map file. Watch the compiler as it works, if there are errors, it may not make a bsp file (pay close attention after the -vis- section, if it doesn't say something to the effect of "writing to mapname.bsp" then there's a problem).

When you compile you get a little DOS box (or at least I do). It starts with -BSP- then does -Vis- and finally -Lighting-. At the end of the BSP section (not the vis section, my mistake) it should say "writing C:/blah blah/mapname.bsp". I don't know enough about the compiler to know what errors prevent you from getting a bsp, but I've had a few compiles where this message doesn't pop up, and you get no bsp file. I'm not really sure what caused the error. Does it say anything "out of the ordinary" in the bsp section? Also, try compiling a simple box level with a spawn point. If that doesn't work, then this problem is over my head. If it compiles okay, then there is something in your level that the compiler doesn't like.

ROFL! After my level didn't compile, I made a simple Box level....nothing fancy, and posted a spawn point in the center, but it still wouldn't make a BSP.

THe DOS Screen Only flashes for a breif Second apon my screen, I think my PC is too fast or something, p4 1.6g 256 ram, geforce 3 ti 500.

ok...im new at this too...and i got a dumb question....

i made a simple map from a tutorial and now what do i do to compile it...i mean do you got to the bsp dropdown? and pick one..there is several different bsp things you can do...what are they for and what one do you use?

now to the problem im getting..

i get a (No "base") with some scribbles behind that...whats up?

ok...i did it...i use bsp fullvis. i had to save as to put my map into the base/map folder and then used bsp fullvis..whala...got a bsp and it work in jk...cool my first map...i little room with nowhere to run....spawned a jeditrainer into it and gripped him.....we circled a bunch..and swung our sabers at each other....i cant wait to build a bigger room........this is real cool.....i never thought i would get into making maps...think i just found me a new hobby.

The problem is not that you can't find the .bsp, it is probably not making a .bsp file. I am having the same problems and started poking around. What I found is this:

In c:\documents and settings\(your windows logon name here)\local settings\temp\ folder there are 2 .bat files, qe3bsp.bat and qe3bsp2.bat

When you try to compile your map from JK2Ed, it uses qe3bsp2.bat which just runs qe3bsp.bat, which does all the work but won't show any output or errors because it was called from the other .bat file. More than likely, the bsp program is outputting an error, but you don't get to see it. So, go find these files and just double-click qe3bsp.bat and it will run the program to make the .bsp file. You will see everything it does, including errors. After BSP runs, it runs VIS, then LIGHT or something like that, these will probably say "could not find whatever.bsp". But this will let you know what the error is, so that you can correct it.

I have been trying to compile a small terrain sample from Easygen, but it always gives an error about not being able to load the alphamap file, and it won't create a .bsp. But I only found this out when I manually ran qe3bsp.bat

Hope this helps!

Archived