Home

Skies?

Schizophrenic

Either skies don't work at all anymore, or the method of doing them has changed enough that I don't know how.

I select the brush I want to use as a sky brush. I go to the textures menu and select skies, JK2R loads up the skies set of textures. I find the one I want (desert2_up), and click on it, which applies it to the brush. I then save and compile, fullvis extra.

I load up the map in JK2, and it simply shows up as a flat sky texture, with no sky shader applied to it.

Is something wrong with JK2Radiant, or is there a different way of doing skies now? The exact same method works for Quake 3 without any problems.

I asked this pretty early in the Editing Q&A thread, but nobody's replied to it.

alot of shaders are screwed and the "skies" also. Same for the surface sprites on textures etc. I suggest you create a new dir for yourself and rework the skies like i did...now they work for me!

Maybe someone find the time to rework all the shaders like astrocreep does it for rtcw...maybe!

Guys: do now select "desert_UP." select just "desert" (in mine its tiny and shows a blue/black or green/black chequered thing. thats the sky shader. the ones w/ _up/dn/lt/rt/ft/bk are the component pieces. dont use those.

problem solved.

-Tems

Im looking for desert or yavin or bespin etc. I dont have a texture/shader without _up/dn/lt etc. I dont think Ive messed with any of my settings or directories. I just dont have a plain sky texture or a black box with a blue cross to select.

Any ideas how I can fix this? Do I need to edit one of the shader files or something like that?

~* beau *~

==========

Guys: do now select "desert_UP." select just "desert" (in mine its tiny and shows a blue/black or green/black chequered thing. thats the sky shader. the ones w/ _up/dn/lt/rt/ft/bk are the component pieces. dont use those.

problem solved.

-Tems

thank you, finally they work. yeah, you can tell the difference after you select the skies, from the textures menu. When they finish loading, at the very top (on mine) make sure show shaders is clicked. The first one says [artus_lighting] and the next one is [bespin]. [bespin] is a blue/black small box, that is your sky shader. Below that is bespin_bk W which you don't want. It may be deceiving if you click on bespin_bk W it almost seems like you are already at the top, but arent really. Hope it helps, now it's off to make some skies.

Serious Bump here.

hey,

i woke up at 4am this morning, couldnt sleep so i got up and loaded up good ole jk2radiant. last night i stuffed up the view\show entities thing and it took me 4 hours till i asked someone on here who helped me straight away (thanks unikorn).

anyways, in MP project, my sky textures have started working. no idea why. in my effort to fix the entity vanishing problem, i installed the tools over the top of the ones i was using. i didnt delete the others. im not sure if this constitutes a reinstall because my map files were in the document listing in the file menu. i did have to redo the fix for the MP project path for the entities though. maybe try it if you still have no luck

~* beau *~

hey,

now that i have my sky working, i decided to make all the walls the sky shader as well. i discovered in the game that this gives the walls the sky and trees and stuff. its excellent.

i started my floor on 0 down to -32 and the walls were the same and go to like 2400 or something. anyways. when i go to the edge of my world (aka the walls), i can actually see below my floor to the shader ground with more trees and stuff. how do i actually get it so that either:

a) my floor is also a shader using the built in ground texture

b) my floor lines up so you just get the correct texturing like its all one level?

i just made the walls start at 0 and not -32. it may fix it but i doubt it. anyone have any ideas, it would be great

~* beau *~

You can't really do that. It will look like you are floating in space. They sky shaders are unlike any other shader in that they have a distance perspective. You can walk up to a sky shader and hit it, but visually, it still appears to be far away.

To all with sky problems:

- Select the brushes you want to make into a sky box

- Press s

- in the texture field, type: skies/kejim

- hit ok

That's it

That will give you the kejim sky (blue sky, with mountains).

To get a complete list of them and their texture/sun/color/surface settings, look in the skies.shader file in the shaders directory.

- Vorax

I know my sky doesn't give off light

I got it to work eventually, but during the bsp I got an error that read:

warning: couldn't find image for shader textures/skies/yavin

the first time I got that message I had the black and blue checkered texture in my sky box instead of the yavin sky.

that was from selecting the shader from the skies textures

the last time I did it, it worked and the sky showed up, but it's not loading the shader for it for some reason, and it's not giving off light even though it's a daytime sky.

maybe someone who knows more about shaders can figure out why. this is the first time I've ever used them so I'm completely lost when it comes to how the shaders work and the commands in the shader files. I just know how to select them from the textures menu.

the purple one

I have already have been Uni. :) I have noticed the way in which scrolling shaders used on and additive blend_func in a 2 image shader don't work correctly. It scrolls the merged...bizzare.

For those looking for a sky with light:

skies/normallight

It has a surface light of 75 and and a sun direction. Seems Raven got kinda lazy with the lighting becuase most of the sky textures use heavy surfacelight values :( Makes for uglier lighting. The one I listed with light should be ok, but you may be better of writing your own shader for most of the skies.

- Vorax

Archived