Home

Converting JPG Model files into TGP & PK3's?

SlapNut

How do you convert a JPG image of skins into the type of file that the game uses for its skins? The TGP and PK3 files? Are the TGP files used for the individual compnents of the skin, and all put together to make the PK3 file for the entire skin?

How do I do this step by step? Its a lot harder than I thought.

Thanx.

Well first off- the PK3-files are nothing else as .zip files renamed. They are used to get all the files together and make it easier to be send. I think the skin files are all JPEG's, but since I'm not into skinning you'd better ask one of the professionals around here...

Still hope it helps

When you say TGP, I assume you mean TGA.

Well...you do not need any TGA files, since they are nothing other than image files (like JPG) with a lot higher quality (that is the reason why they are bigger in size).

JPG pictures are compressed to decrease file-size.

Nevertheless, the quality of JPGs is very much sufficient for any skin in JK2.

To "convert" them, as you put it, you need to zip them (with winzip or winrar) and rename the resulting zip file to pk3.

Which means, if you create a zip file with the name newskin.zip, you need to rename it to newskin.pk3.

It appears to me you need to learn a lot more on the topic of "jk2 skinning", though.

Search the forum or jediknightii.net for explicit help.

ok..

thanx kijinn and tigris! That explained a bit to me. Makes it a bit esier to understand.

How do I veiw or edit the TGA files then? In other words, how do I veiw and in turn, edit the skin templates? Do I need a certain program to change the TGA's into something I can play around with like JPG's or bmp?

Archived