Home

Where are my textures?

Darth Draugmahl

I've created a few textures for use with a map. The game editor finds the folder for the on it's own, I put them in the map, and instead I get a grey and white grid. Sup widat? The files are saved as jpg's with standard level of compression at 72 pixels per inch with pixel depth/color of 24/16million. I'm at a loss.

Ok, what I find I am getting when I create new textures and try to load them is an error that has something to do with a shader and says that there is a lightmap but no lightmap stage.

Any idea what it is I'm doing wrong? Every other game I've ever edited for I just dropped the textures in and they were fine.

If I understand JK2 right you'll have to make a shader for the texture with the shader editor... try creating a new shaderfile and then adding your texture...

EDIT: Just thought of another thing: Try saving your textures as Targas and import them again...

I'm not having any luck with that either. Correct me if I'm wrong (since I very well could be as a q3engine n00b) but isn't a regular texture should not need a shader right? Aren't they seperate things? My understanding of a shader (again correct me if I'm wrong) is that they more or less replace surface tags from q2radient like water, glass, fog etc as well as adding truebright information and animation? (among other scripted things)

Actually, I had that exact same problem with some custom textures of mine. It turned out that the problem was caused by the image's dimensions not being in powers of 2.

JK2 will only load textures who's dimensions are (in pixels): 32, 64, 128, 256, etc. They don't have to be square, but the measurements of each side have to be one of those. (or any other power of 2)

I figured that out, and Mike Gummelt confirmed it. He should be adding it to an FAQ soon. ;)

Archived