Home

elevators tutorials

patchx

1. Make a brush for your elevator platform.
  2. Place the brush in the position that the elevator will go to when you step onto it.
  3. Select the brush, right click on it in 2d view, go down to func, and select func_plat.
  4. With the brush still selected, hit N, and add a key named "height" with a value of the distance that the elevator will actually travel.

Basically, the platform starts out at "top position", and goes to "top position - brush thickness - height". If you wanted an 8-unit thick platform to start out at 0 and wanted it to go up to 256, you'd place the brush at 256, then set the height to 248 (256 - 8 - 248 = 0).

If you wanted the elevator to start at the top and go down, you'd place it in the bottom position and use a negative number for the height.

That's a really confusing explanation, but if you do it in the editor you'll see what I mean. I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, but this way does work.

Edit: I found an image that explains it a lot better than I did. It's actually from Worldcraft, but it functions the same way.

Voila.

Archived