Home

Making a map, having fun... but having problem with misc_models... Come in!

DarkErik

Hi all!

First of all, here a small pic of my level (just to present something after fighting with Radiant for two days - total newb)

shot.jpg

And I've got problems with JORadiant:

I can't add models via "misc_model" command. I always get the error: "Can't open C:/..../.../imp_shuttle.m3d" etc.

So, my shieldgenerator work inmap, but is only presented by the RGB-triangle.

Is there a specific folder, where have to put the models, or what? Ahhh... <g>

Q No2: I can't create a sphere out of a brush. If I click on the "Brush/Primitives.../Sphere..." (with brush selected) nothing happens... absolutly nothing...

Any help is welcome. <g>

had the same prob, but its easy. read that part of the tutorial of the news site ;)

Tip: There is a bug in radiant when entering a misc_model. The value is wrong and points to the full path and that wont load the model.

do not use e:/program files/lucasarts etc. just delete everything infront of the word model.

what you should see as an example is in the value feild is models/flags/b_flag_ysal.md3

i also have the sphere prob, nothing happens. no idea why...

I tried this already, as seen in the tutorial with erasing all in front of the model-path... didn't work either...

Well, I didn't got a wireframe-model in the editor, but I didn't tried ingame...

Maybe, when I'm back... <g>

To edit the path, open the entity info box for the misc_model, and click on the line that reads "model - C:/etc"

The text for the key and value should show up in the 'key' and 'value' boxes below it. Now, edit the path there, and hit enter. Should update it. You'll have to restart the editor to see them, though.

If you make them misc_modelbreakable's there should be an option to make them solid, but all it does is create a bounding box around them. That's okay for some stuff, but for other things, like a tree, the best way is to do it yourself. Just make brushes that follow the basic shape of the model. (for a tree, I'd make one big one for the leaf part, and a smaller, thinner one for the trunk)

Then, texture those 'bounding boxes' you made with 'system/cushion' if you want them to be solid AND block shots. If you just want them to block the player, and NOT BLASTER FIRE, use the 'system/clip' texture. I 'd use that for the leaf part of the tree in my example, since you can shoot through branches. ;)

And, to make sure you're aligning your 'bounding box' brushes right, there's an option in JK2Radiant to draw the actual models instead of just the red box. It's a button all the way on the right in the menu bar that you can use to change the way JKR displays models.

Again, hope that helps.

Just so you know, making them breakable objects for me (at least the ones I tried) made them disappear from my MP map, though they were still visible in SP. I don't know if perhaps I did something wrong but so far, by all accounts, to get it to act properly you'll just want to put clip brushes around it. At first I thought it was gonna be a pain in the ass, but put did the x-wing in a matter of minutes while still keeping the correct shape of the ship. To anyone who also feels that it's be annoying, bear in mind that you don't have to totally envelop the model, cover the sides and top and any underneath area that's reachable, but you don't have to connect them all of cover areas in between that end up being too small for the player to step through. If I get burnt while Mapping perhaps I'll put together a map file of prefab models with clips already on them.

Archived