Home

"bad PointToPolygonFormFactor"

MaDaVentor

Alright... I'm working on my map, and I want to put some acid pouring from a pipe in it. With some help, I created a shader to make it deform and flow, but when I use this shader on the curve (it's a dense cylinder), I get a "bad PointToPolygonFormFactor" error. I know that this means that the curve at the given coordinates is more than 512 units in one dimension, but the problem is that it's NOT. The largest dimension is less than 300 units. Then if I let the compile finish, and try it in-game, the map comes out full-bright...I don't know what's causing the problem, or why I can't fix it, but any help would be great. I'll post the shader below for you to take a look at, and if you know what's wrong, PLEASE tell me. Thanks!

Here's the shader:

textures/m/m_acidflow
{
qer_editorimage	textures/m/m_acid1
q3map_surfacelight	2000
q3map_tesssize	100
surfaceparm	noimpact
surfaceparm	lava
q3map_nolightmap
q3map_globaltexture
cull	disable
deformvertexes	wave	100 sin 3 5 0 0.3
   {
       map textures/m/m_acid1
       tcMod scroll 0 -2
   }
}

You might want to try posting your question on a forum with more Q3 editing experience. This is a pretty detailed/in depth question, and considering most people are just getting started, there are probably not a lot of people who know the answer.

The only thing I can think of (and is probably wrong, and I have little idea of what I'm talking about here) is that the additional offset from the sin wave pushes the dimension past 512. If it doesn't work at the current size, try a smaller size. *shrug*

normally that error can be ignored, and wont cause any probs other than perhaps a few minor rendering glitches on the brush in question. I haven't seen that error cause fullbright ever before... are you sure thats whats causing the fullbright problem?

It's not the sin wave that's doing it- the curve's largest dimension is it's height on the z scale, but the sin wave doesn't effect this dimension at all... :(

It's not the size of the curve either- I can resize to miniscule sizes, and it still gives me the error.

And yes, I'm sure this is what causes the fullbright error, because if I remove the curve in question, then it compiles fine. The problem is that the compile quits calculating lighting when the error occurs. :confused:

Any help would be great!

Archived