Home

Transparent Shader question

InsaneGull

I am trying to put in one of those large, reddish, see-thru, rectangular displays that were in all the control rooms in the game, in a box kind of like a flatscreen display. I did this and when I look at it from the front I can see right through the box like it doesn't have a back on it. I put another brush w/ a dark colored texture to give it some background but you can see through that brush and out the back of the TV. Any suggestions? I hope I was clear in explaining it.

________

| | | | |

| | | | | <------ Can see right through

| | | | | <------ the back.

| | | | |

|-----------

I had this problem too. I imagine the nodraw solution will work, but I found that moving the screen away from parallel surfaces (like walls) will also work, to a certain extent (it's possible that viewing the screen from a certain angle will still cause the x-ray screen effect). Also, I think all the transparent screens in the game were the displays that stood in the middle areas of rooms. The wall mounted displays were all opaque, if my memory serves me correctly. You can tell whether or not a surface will be transparent in the texture window. If it is transparent, the thumbnail will have a white border around it.

Archived