Home

Jabbas palace - alpha download

danrobjim

Hi all, I've finished the basic map of Jabba's palace I'm working on. It's nowhere near finished, but what I've done so far is available for download at: http://www.geocities.com/jabbaoutcast/jabba.zip

Any comments/suggestions/noticable errors/waves of verbal abuse/etc would be gratefully recieved. I know the lighting is terrible in some places but I'm fixing that up now. Also the archways to the rooms with water in are slightly too small and they'll be fixed before the final version.

To run it drop the pk3 file in your base folder, go into single player game and type "map jabba" into the console

Be careful in the rancor pit, I havn't put in a way of getting out of there yet!

I tried it in single player it tells me.. doesnt recognise command 'map'

So I tired it in mulitplayer - with sv_pure 0 and with pure 1 and both times it told me the map number should be 46 instead of 1 or something. :confused:

If you fix it or know what the problem is let me know soon so I can test your map 4 you.

I'm looking forward to a good jabba's palce map and when I get some free time I might build a quick max rebo + band to be placed in the bacground. Any idea if map objects are allowed to have animations ?

doh! my fault on that map number thing. I uploaded the Q3 version and the JO version and it was storing them both somehow. I've deleted the Q3 one now so if you try again, it should work... maybe :)

Anyone know any better places to store than geocities? I don't want to upload to somewhere like JK2files.com as it's nowhere near finished yet.

danrobjim -

can you possibly post some screenshots so those of us at work (read: UNABLE to play jk2 at this moment) can see the map and offer some suggestions? i'll tell you, i am EAGERLY anticipating this map ... has some incredible potential!

Originally posted by danrobjim

D.L. thanks for hosting, but you've hosted the Q3 map not the JO one!

Could you possibly download the right one (the link above should work now), and host that?

Thanks

Dan

Done and Done.

The map is coming along nicely for the amount of time you've been working on it. It definitely needs some work though (as you well know, seeing as how its the "Alpha" version). Here are my tips...

*The detention area is TOO BIG...it seems more like a prison than a palace....granted, Jabba has lots of enemies, but this thing has a prison block the size of the Death Star's ;)

*Lighting needs major work...In places, the lights just seem to appear from nowhere at all, and overall, the map is just too bright...Jabba's palace had a dark, eerie feeling overall that is not captured here.

*Jabba's throne room needs to be BIGGER....the map is pretty large overall, but the centerpiece of it, the throne room, is small by comparison. The overall design is pretty good, except for the fact that jabba's "slab" goes all the way into the wall, but it just needs to be bigger.

*Water rooms....um...what are these for?

*Some REALLY LONG hallways...shorten these up.

*Too many empty rooms...obviously, some of these will be filed with enemies later on, but add some other entities as well.

Good things: :)

Textures- Overall, the textures are pretty good, though sometimes repetitive...I think once the lighting is cleaned up, things will look very good...

Design- besides the things I pointed out, the design is pretty faithful to the movie and interesting....Those stairways could lead to some interest battles, and the rancor pit is cool!

Scale- The map is BIG...which is a good thing...it could be a good ffa map or part of a single-player mission coupled with an "outside the palace" map and perhaps a sarlacc pit map. :)

*Possible additions that would make this GREAT:

Droid "assignment" room: A junkyard where all of Jabba's previous servents are disassembled and new ones are "reassigned"

*Addition of Pig Guard models, jawa models, etc. I'm sure someone will be working on these, so the single-player version could have these in them....with the author's permission of course ;)

*"Door droid" - like the one in Nar Shadaa or the one 3po and r2 encountered in rotj...shouldn't be tough...

*Jabba music- already in the game...add in the max reebo band in the throne room and stick some max reebo tunes in and you've got ATMOSPHERE...

Well, that's it from here...great work so far. I'm looking forward to the "Beta" version. :D

First, thanks for all the input, it will help a lot. Next is a list of what I've got planned in regards to your comments

Detention area: it does seem a bit big, but with what I want to do for the storyline I'm not sure how many cells I need, I didn't want to put too few in and risk not being able to put more in if the need arose. You can expect there to be less in the final version (There's 30 cells at the moment, that will probably be knocked down to 10-15)

I'll admit the lighting is terrible, it's what I'm working on at the moment. The reason it is so bad is that I put lights in before texturing large parts of it, it's just there so some sections are not in complete darkness, I've been playing with it today and it already looks a lot better, I've lowered the amount of light and given it a yellow tint so it has a much better feel to it.

I thought about making Jabba's throne room bigger as it feels small, but I've been going through the RoTJ scenes and it seems about right, of course that's with all those people in it. I'll have to see if it feels too small when I start adding characters and other objects.

The water rooms are duel rooms, if Jabba wanted to kill people he had prisoner, but didn't want to throw them to the rancor then they go in them with Jabba's best fighters. I'm planning on adding a viewing area soon. This is actualy how the game will start, you'll be sent down to fight one of Jabba's men and then escape (if you win) to proceed with the level.

Long corridors are a problem because of the scale of the map, shortening them would mean they would veer off into rooms in other places. The best way I can think of to change this is to add some more rooms off the sides (so far there's only 6 sleeping quarters in the whole palace!) to make them feel less like there is reason for them.

Yeah, I've got a lot of plans for the empty rooms, I didn't want to add lots of things to them if people felt the basic design was flawed.

I'm pretty happy with the textures too (all from existing levels excepts the sand, that was done by Tems) I think it feels too clean though, I'm going to begin editing some and creating my own to "dirty" the place up some.

Places I want to put in empty rooms:

Droid assignment/torture room - how could I not!?!

Human torture room - not sure about this yet, think it would feel right though

Prayer rooms - the palace used to be a temple for monks, need to acknowledge this

Armoury - for weapons and armour

Bar - Can you see a guy like Jabba not having a bar?

Gambling den - If Tatooine is so big on gambling, I would expect Jabba would have a big stake in it

Obviously all the rooms that are there already are going to be much more detailed in the final version

I'm hoping for a few different character models to put in, hopefully it wont be too hard getting them working in single player AI.

One thing I hope to put in (if I can convince someone to make one) is a model of a sleeping rancor. At the start you'll have lost your lightsaber and it'll be down in the pit with it. Don't plan on asking for it though till I'm certain I think it's feasable.

Door droid is a model within radiant I will have that in somewhere.

Max Reebo tunes - good idea I hadn't thought of that!

Eventually this is going to be part of a larger scale single player game I am working on with a friend. At the end of the palace level you'll escape in a land speeder, but eventually break down outside luke's farm

Finally I've been thinking about this for the past couple of days.... what the hell does the bed of a giant green slug look like???!!!???

Ok, here are a few more details of what I have in my head. These aren't necessarily how it will end up, but in the best case scenario what will happen.

This is the first of a series of single player levels about the son of one of the "missing 20" as described in AoTC. It will be set 5 years before A New Hope.

After years of learning of your abilities and training youself you have learned to master your power but instead of using it for pure good/evil, you use it influence the outcome of certain gambling events. Using your powers all over the galaxy you end up on Tatooine and eventually going noticed by the Hutts you are captured by Boba Fett and handed over to Jabba. Ordering your execution you are to fight one of Jabba's men unarmed (well, you're unarmed anyway). This is where this level will begin, with you leaving your cell to go fight in one of the duel arenas filled with water.

The scenario sounds awesome. I really hope this gets made. Does this mean a Jabba model? If so, awesome! Somehow, he needs to have his attack be whacking with his tail... or eating your character. Either way.

Will the main character get his father's lightsaber? That would be some added fun.

Problem is I have no experience doing modelling, I have the time to learn but not the money to invest in software. Hopefully someone will (or I will be able to convince someone to) make a Jabba model. My only thought about it was that 5 years before A New Hope, there's no way you can fight Jabba and win, as he's still alive in RoTJ.

Hadn't thought about his father's lightsaber, that's a nice idea.

Archived