Home

Modelling with gmax

Lord -=[FBF]=-

OK, I have gmax, ive taken the two plugins from Tempest so i can export as .md3 and .map files, but i have just a few questions:

1. Whats all this about UV mapping?

2. How do I set up which image files etc it takes the skin from? Or which .skin file to refer to?

3. When I export a 'level' as a .map, why does it just load a blank environment in both Q3Radiant and JKIIRadiant?

Can anyone help?

Your level isn't showing because it needs "certain" parameters.

To prove jk2 radiant CAN view the map do the following:

In GMAX, click FILE and OPEN/LOAD MAP......find your Gmax folder/gamepacks/tempest folder.

sitting in there is a example level (imaginatively titled "level test")....load her up and delete some things (like half the walkway in the centre of the level) then save as a DIFFERENT NAMED map.

Go to Jk2 radiant and open her up and walk around.

As to HOW to create your own CORRECT level that jk2 radiant will see- go to google and do a search on gmax downloads....there should be a http://www.discreet.com website with gmax, help files, turorials etc etc. Below all that is the tempest plugin and a turtorial for tempest. Get that tutorial.

should help you start out.

Can you help me with gmax 1.1 and tempest?

I make a simple 3D box in gmax 1.1 and make it an Editable Brush or apply the 'Turn to Brush' modifier. Then export to .map and open it in JK2Radiant.

I try to face select the box to apply different textures per face and cannot. All I can do is select it with SHIFT. What is wrong here? If I create a brush in JK2Radiant I can face select it.

If I cannot face select from gmax's .map then there is no reason to use it; there would be no way to texture a map well.

Well I did a test. I created a brush in JK2Radiant, then saved the map. Then opened the map in Notepad.

Then I created a box in gmax 1.1 and applied the 'Turn to Brush' modifier to it. Exported it to a .map and opened that .map file up in Notepad.

With the two files side-by-side, there are clear differences and likely why I cannot select a face from the gmax 1.1 tempest exported one.

It appears that the brush created with JK2Radiant has 6 sides whereas the brush made in gmax and imported has 12. This is strange and likely why things are not working. For some reason, gmax is doubling the faces, as if it is thinking each face is two faces and not one.

I did a test. I created the exact same brush in JK2Radiant and also gmax 1.1 with tempest .map export.

It was a 64x64x64 brush in the same exact place; world space. I then opened the .map files in Notepad and looked them over.

This image (link) shows the green lines are the same.

The red lines do not match either file.

My tests make me think that the current tempest is not for JK2.

http://www2.applesolutions.com/other/test3.jpg

I think from my tests, thus far, that the current JK2Radiant (as of 04/28/02) is creating a brush face in a different manner than gmax 1.1 or how tempest exports them as brushes. The 12 faces is the fact that gmax 1.1 sees each face as two triangles. So if there are two triangles per face, you actually get 12 faces, whereas JK2Radiant see its own brush, in the same format, as 6 faces. Plus, the coordinates to the right are also different for some reason.

You can grab the Tempest plugin for gmax here:

http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/gmaxconsumer/downloads_text.html

No, I do not recommend you use gmax for level design yet, not till a new tempest is out for JK2 maps -- as for .md3 files I think it is okay (but I've not tested it yet). If you use tempest for map design I don't see how you'll be able to texture map brush faces (less you learn how, in which case please tell us). Both gmax 1.1 and the tempest plugin are freeware. And you must use gmax 1.1 to use tempest (thus far). And I find no help files for tempest, which means we are left in the dark.

I just know 3ds max 4 very well, so gmax is handy for me, but I am also mastering JK2Radiant slowly.

Archived