Home

art of the backswing

godless_hordes

I've been groovin' on the Ladder a lot lately, and I've noticed -- or I *think* I've noticed -- something that I've not seen discussed much. That's backswing...mainly in the strong stance but possibly also in medium. When I haul back to cock my arms for one of those heavy slashes, I sometimes seem to catch a baddie with the saber as I'm pulling back, even to the point of knocking him down. (I don't think I've achieved any kills this way yet.)

I'm reminded of some scenes in SW:TPM where Qui-gon slices droids coming and going.

So, for the experienced duellists out there, has anybody tried to catalogue the "strike points," if you will, for each given swing? E.g., for a typical heavy slash I can imagine three possible strike points ---

One: at the beginning, as the saber is drawn back, you might be able to catch an opponent in front of you with the tip of the saber.

Two: in the middle, as the saber achieves it maximum pre-swing windup, you might be able to tag and damage an opponent positioned in your rear arc.

Three: at the end, maximum damage is cause be catching your opponent in the true "sweet zone" of your swing.

--- and the exact location of each point would depend on the swing.

Am I imagining things, or is this something that actually works for people with better reflexes than mine? :-)

Originally posted by Sokaran

I think your the only one thats noticed this, I'll try this maybe your l33+. Well maybe you just have great timing?

I wish. Mainly it's something I notice when I'm surrounded by NPCs in the Ladder (you know, where there are so many baddies it's actually hard not to hit one). It just seems that sometimes, when I'm doing one of the bigger swings, I manage to tag somebody behind or to the side.

Archived