Home

Hierarchy for JK2 Models - by spacemonkey

spacermonkey

Here we go. Assuming you have imported a root.xsi model and stolen all the tags from it for your own model heres what you need to do in order to get them all 'linked' correctly.

'The general process of creating links is to build the hierarchy from child to parent. You click Select and Link on the toolbar, select one or more objects as children, and then drag the link cursor from the selection to a single parent object. The selected objects become children of the parent object.

Once objects are linked, any transformations applied to the parent are also applied to its children. For example, if you scale the parent to 150%, the size of its children and the distance between the children and the parent are also scaled by 150%. '

-quote from max.

Ok so we know how to link stuff right?

:c3po: well actually I've had problems, call me stupid but when I select the objects to link the link icon appears but then when I click on the thing to link to it simply selects the object I wanted to link too :(

Ok what your doing wrong is that you need to hold the mouse button down after you've selected the objects and when the link icon appears. Then you drag it to the object you want to link toand a little trail of walking ants appears. release and hey presto your first link. Remember you select the 'child/children' and then link to the parent!!!

:c3po: thanks

On to the crap you need to link together.

Ok this list is in the order you need to select things and then link them - well at least this is how I assume it works, let me know if you think its anything otherwise.

bolt_l_leg_calf

bolt_l_leg_cap_hips

bolt_l_leg_foot

l_leg_cap_hips_off

-select them and link to l_leg

-----------

bolt_r_leg_calf

bolt_r_leg_cap_hips

bolt_r_leg_foot

r_leg_cap_hips_off

-select them and link to r_leg

------------

bolt_head_back

bolt_head_cap_torso

bolt_head_eyes

bolt_head_front

bolt_head_left

bolt_head_right

bolt_head_top

head_cap_torso_off

*face + eyes also need linking if you've included them.

-select them and link to head

--------------

bolt_l_hand

bolt_l_hand_cap_l_arm

l_hand_cap_learn_off

l_hand_wrist

-select them and link to l_hand

---------------

bolt_r_hand

bolt_r_hand_cap_r_arm

r_hand_cap_r_arm_off

r_hand_wrist

-select them and link to r_hand

----------------

bolt_r_arm_cap_r_hand

bolt_r_arm_cap_torso

bolt_r_arm_elbow

r_arm_cap_r_hand_off

r_arm_cap_torso_off

r_hand

-select them and link to r_arm

-----------------

bolt_l_arm_cap_hand

bolt_l_arm_cap_torso

bolt_l_arm_elbow

l_arm_cap_l_hand_off

l_arm_cap_torso_off

l_hand

-select them and link to l_arm

-----------------

bolt_back

bolt_chestg

bolt_hip_bl

bolt_hip_br

bolt_hip_fl

bolt_hip_fr

bolt_hip_l

bolt_hip_r

bolt_lchest_l

bolt_lchest_r

bolt_shldr_l

bolt_shldr_r

bolt_torso_cap_head

bolt_torso_cap_hips

bolt_torso_cap_l_arm

bolt_torso_cap_r_arm

bolt_uchest_l

bolt_uchest_r

torso_cap_head_off

torso_cap_hips_off

torso_cap_l_arm_off

torso_cap_r_arm_off

head

l_arm

r_arm

select them and then link them to torso

------------------

bolt_hips_cap_l_leg

bolt_hips_cap_r_leg

bolt_hips_cap_torso

bolt_hips_l_knee

bolt_hips_r_knee

hips_cap_l_leg_off

hips_cap_r_leg_off

hips_cap_torso_off

torso

l_leg

r_leg

-select them and then link them to hips

--------------------

hips

-select and link it to stupidtriangle_off

--------------------

stupidtriangle_off

-select and link it to mesh_root

--------------------

mesh_root

-slect and link it to model_root

--------------------

now you are my bitch and must send me money, at least $10 American dollars or 10 pounds sterling. :D

anyway to test if you've dont it right select a part of your mesh - say the l_arm. Drag it far to the right and them draw a rectangular selection over it (make sure its away from all the other objects) now check your selection by looking at the - check by name list- you should have all the components linked to it selected also because they should have moved when you dragged the arm. Or instead of wasting your time like this you could go to select by name - and select the display subtree option.

Phew, this was a bitch to write. I expect to get props from all you people who read this in your model readme's :D J/K

:c3po: erm does this one come with a pciture?

Heres an image of THeFLow of the hierarchy.

theflow.txt

Ands heres some picks of a model I made today children :p

http://www.geocities.com/bdimonkey/GRAK.txt

http://www.geocities.com/bdimonkey/grak2.txt

I hope you all enjoyed your lesson. :D

hmm, okay thx, i knew that gmax is stripped of its rendering options but i just had to ask, i thought you still could use a rendering script...sorry its just a newbie thing :)

i was wondering how is that effect with the whitish model with shadows achieved in renders, iv seen it in maya and lightwave and now with this render for 3dmax....whats the trick to make the rendered model look that way?

w00t! Hopefully that's the last thing I need ^_^ (how many times have I said that? :D)

rooting eaverything straight to the torso was a slightly bad idea, I think >_<

That's a nice model, by the way.

"Assuming you have imported a root.xsi model and stolen all the tags from it for your own model heres what you need to do in order to get them all 'linked' correctly. "

what are tags? arg i gotta learn all these damn terms.

when your talking about taggin you mean linking all the meshes?

what about the bones, whats up with those?

and how come when i look at a model in modview it has bone and tag surfaces with different names?

Well Tags are single sided polygons that the quake 3 engine uses to determine certain things.

Tags are setup across the body so that the game engine can compute bounding boxes for the models. These bounding boxes are invisible in game yet they determine where we are hit. SAy for example theres a box for the head, the placement of the tags in max determines the boundrys for the head- something intrudes on those boundries and, bamm your model is hit.

Simply think of them as markers, telling the game engine points on your model.

If you open the root.xsi in max look for the tag names - that I have included in the long list - things such as bolt_such and such .

Dont Worry about tags too much, Hopefully I will have a tutorial on them soon, about their placement on the model. OBVIOUSLY they need to be placed correctly before you can link them! Dont link the tags now unless you are simply experimenting.

And on a final note - I contacted ChangKhan from Raven, he's going to have a look over the stuff I've wrote here so far to make sure its on the right track and he is also going to provide me with a document about how the tags are setup!!

So dont worry. Things shoudl be alot clearer soon.

• 2 weeks later...

bump

Im having an insanly hard time weighting the bolt_r_hand_cap_r_arm. I cant seem to select the acutal point to paint and the weigt keep disapearing .. Any suggestions? Im pretty new with 3dsmax so im probalby just missin something stupid. I have managed to get this far though ;)

Ok, Started over. So any suggestions on easy ways to weight. Maybe shortcuts.

I typed up a nice hierarchy from the stormtrooper root.xsi then I typed in all the bones connected to each mesh. Spacemonkey if you would like this to use with your tutorial id be happy to send it. And I wish you guys would talk about weighting more. Cause I have like 5 models that just look crazy in modview. im sure its the weights.

Archived