Home

.pk3 files in BASE dir, chars not in game

crybaby

Hey All

I have been playing with some skinning. I made a modified ugnaught skin that appears correct in Modview.exe. I have renamed files and modified icons as per the tutorial. The instructions say that "Now you're done! It will work in the game on your computer (try it out)"

Well, what should work, exactly? If I start a multiplayer game, my new icon is not one of the choices, and my default ungaught is unmodified as expected. Should I see the modified icon scroll with all of the rest?

The .skin file doesn't refer to any icon.jpg files. Is it supposed to? I never even got as far as creating the .pk3 files, since I can't make it work in the game.

So, I figured that I must've screwed something up along the way, and I'd download a few other .pk3 skins and see what other modified files look like. I place these in my game data\base folder. But when I start my game, there are no extra characters in the players scrolling list. All of the icons are the same.

In my base folder I have the following files:

assets0.pk3

assets1.pk3

mapextras.pk3

ace.pk3

tron.pk3

Looks right to me. One curious note is that my assets*.pk3 files were not originally in this folder, although the game worked. It's as if the game played from the CD all of the time. I had to copy them over from the CD. I removed the read-only attribute. Where is it determined where the game gets the data from, CD or HDD?

Any suggestions? Am I missing something completely obvious?

Thx

I never even got as far as creating the .pk3 files, since I can't make it work in the game.

You need to do that. The server doesn't seem to care about the directory structure on your drive. It just wants the .pk3 files.

Why the others don't work, I don't know. I can't remember if it was an option or not to not do a full install of the game? If that's the case, and you did a partial install then maybe it left the .pk3 files out and only loads them from the CD? Just a shot in the dark there.

Well, I solved my own dumb error.

I forgot that I installed the game onto my e:\ drive.

I installed the Raven tools onto the c:\ drive. And the tools created the same pathing structure that it expected to see:

c:\program files\lucasarts\jedi outcast\etc

Once I put everything where it was supposed to be on the e:\ drive, everything worked.

Duh.

Archived