Home

Katana Model

BacMeth

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't worry babe, we all have those bad weather days. I took a math placement test today and got 35 out of 100. Or...a 17, not sure which...*grins* And I have to take fudamentals of math in college. I know the feeling.

But I AM really anxious to see that katana. I really want to see how it's done. I'm anxious about seeing new swords. I love swords! I wish somebody would do a samurai anime mod...with kimonos, blood...whole bit. That would be nice. ;) You could really make good use of Ghoul2 with the katana, MacBeth *wink nudge* ;)

bacmeth... you need all kinds of help man. first off, work out of base\models\saber and put your texture in there and then apply it in max from that directory that should solve the texture problem.

Then you need to import the old saber model, and steal its tags, and size it right (though it looks like you got that ok). Or if you are using max 4.2 (didn't bother to see if you posted which one you are using) create the tags...using some prog or script off polycount...forgot what it is.

there are 2 tags Parent and flash. flash sets the point of emination from the blade and i believe parent sets where it grips it...may have to move the handle away from this tag...not sure...will have to tweak it in game.

anyway then i think someone mentioned somewhere that you would have to change the blade shader, or sprite or whatever... that i know nothing about. but it would most likely just need to be black, which would make it transparent i think.

if you have already gotten this far, and i sound like an idiot, you will have to e-mail me, as i suggested in some other thread where you asked for my help recently...and i can see if i can help you out. either way, gl!

bacmeth... you need all kinds of help man. first off, work out of base\models\saber and put your texture in there and then apply it in max from that directory that should solve the texture problem.

well i've done that before.. but no textures yet :(

Then you need to import the old saber model, and steal its tags, and size it right (though it looks like you got that ok). Or if you are using max 4.2 (didn't bother to see if you posted which one you are using) create the tags...using some prog or script off polycount...forgot what it is.

hm yea i added the tags (thx for the polycount hint)

but i still have some problems

anyway then i think someone mentioned somewhere that you would have to change the blade shader, or sprite or whatever... that i know nothing about. but it would most likely just need to be black, which would make it transparent i think.

once again you're right but i knew that before :p (heh)

ok so what i've done is: added the lightsaber blade to the katana

made it invisible using black blade textures...

needs some tweaking ... will prolly be released in some hours...

DAMN

well you can do damage now

but the blades shows up in the wrong place

its rotated 90° downward

and no matter how much i rotate both tags ...

i can only change the position of the blade.. but i cant rotate it

arglgrmpf...

and now my dad makes me work in the workshop....

so... i hope someone can help me on this while i work...

you dont really seem to get what i said...

there is a katana blade included in my model (as seen on the screenies)

but the game works different... the saber model is only the handle

and the game creates the light-blade using the so called tags of your model....

those are called tag_flash and tag_parent

tags are additional objects (1 poly) that are invisible ingame and are used as indicators for something in the code (light saber blade in this case)

but rotating the tag_flash (the blade seems to emit from that one) didnt rotate the Lblade in the end....

and i didnt yet get what the tag_parent is good for... i think this one could be the solution....

any ideas?

plz need help... FAST.. cuz i'm gonna leave the country tomorrow.. gonna come back at monday

Dude, that looks awsome! I SO want that mod!

By the by, what are you doing for the blur? I dont know how well this would work, but back when I was trying to do a sprite based sword I figgured out a cool blur effect, you just draw a blob with various bumps, add wind, gausian blur and then distort it to give it that realistic wedge look that they ignored in the actual game. Add some metallic texture and it would look awsome. The real trick is to avoid any "stringy" effects and not to make it too long (like SO many mods...).

Originally posted by toolboi

By the by, what are you doing for the blur? I dont know how well this would work, but back when I was trying to do a sprite based sword I figgured out a cool blur effect, you just draw a blob with various bumps, add wind, gausian blur and then distort it to give it that realistic wedge look that they ignored in the actual game. Add some metallic texture and it would look awsome. The real trick is to avoid any "stringy" effects and not to make it too long (like SO many mods...).

know what?

you have a job to do :)

i dont know alot about that stuff yet....

but.. are you willing to add this if i send you the working katana?

EDIT: hm but my blade is a modeled one... a mesh... not a sprite like the original lightsaber-blade... this might be a problem... or not?

The first set of ingame shots look perfect, but, let me guess, the sword didnt do any damage? But when the saber was jutting out from the sword, it DID do damage?!

hehe that just sucks. "YES I FIXED IT... Wait, wtf is that saber doing sticking out of my katana... AHH ****!" or "YES I FIXED IT 100% WORKING... ...Why won't that stormtrooper die? ... CRAP!"

:)

Okay. First off, I never learned anything about computers by reading a manual, even when I had my Tandy 1000 when I was five years old....or maybe six or seven, can't remember. Sorry, anyway, okay...let's see here...*peers at new pictures on MacBeth's site* Well, if the lightsaber blade does the damage, then it HAS to be something with the tag that creates the sprite...there has to be some way to remove it. By the way, if I'm wrong, and there is no tag that creates the sprite, sorry...that was just my best guess.

yea of course its the tags...

i thought i made that clear already.. (not sure)

the model requires 2 tags:

tag_parent (its at the center of the saber handle)

tag_flash (on top of the handle... the blade emits from this point)

i've added both of them to my model....

only problem is... the blade emits into the wrong direction

and rotating the tag_flsh doesnt rotate the blade...

however... i created the tags by myself... if there's a way to import md3's to 3dsmax4 then i'll import the original tags...

i think this 'COULD' fix the problem.... its my last idea....

milkshape doesnt seem to import the tags....

i need a max4 md3 IMPORTER

and i have only 1 hour left.... (gonna leave town... coming back at monday)

so if you know a max4 importer tell me... hurry plz... i'll try to find one on my own, too

ok i didnt leave.. i'm still here...

didnt find a plugin that imports md3only plugin for max4 seems to be the one i have but it cant import.. only export....

so could anyone who is still using max3 import the saber_w.md3 file in the base/models/weapons2/saber folder

(including the tags of course) and send it to me?

This is what I'm shady on: Why do you want the lightsaber blade to be spawned in the first place? Because IT is what does the damage? That does make sense. Otherwise, I was wondering why not just get rid of the lightsaber blade altogether...

Archived