colmag

Do we love Dark Jericho?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do we love Dark Jericho?

• Dark Jericho we love you
    • dark jericho we do
    • Dark Jericho we love you
    • Dark Jericho oh yes we do

I checked out your link in the freezing thread, and then followed that through to some other pages, and did the following:

control panel > system

advanced tab > performance settings

advanced tab (again) > set "memory usage" to system cache

Then, i rebooted, went into the bios, and set to Optimized defaults.

Now, I know that previous to this I had the memory timings set to manual (don't know how, cos I don't understand them and wouldn't set them myself). This set them to Auto.

I know you're not supposed to change more than 1 thing at a time, but i'm impulsive.

This has resulted in JK2 seemingly working without problems, with GL extensions on, graphics set however i like, etc. etc.

Reading though the postings that Dark Jericho (i still want your babies) discovered, it all seems to come down to aggressive memory timings, nvidia drivers demanding too much etc. etc.

BUT IT SEEMS TO WORK (FINGERS CROSSED, TACKLE TIED, TOUCH WOOD ETC. ETC.)

heh thanks for expressing your feeling, and your welcome for the links, anything i can do to help fellow gamers/star wars junkies get more enjoyment out of jedi knight 2, i will attempt to do.

By the way its Darth :p but that doesnt matter, at least i know this worked for someone else

It's definitely possible to make your machine less stable with certain memory timing BIOS settings. If you're not familiar with them, you can press the function key that will load optimized settings for just that page in the bios.

[i DON'T recommend doing this from the main page unless you really know what you're doing. This could change all BIOS settings and you may end up changing your ACPI setting - what a nightmare that would be]

Depending on what you have set, loading Optimized Defaults for the BIOS "memory page" may reduce your memory timings to more conservative setttings and add stability to your system - especially when playing intense 3D games like JO.

With memory timing settings in the BIOS you can usually choose from the following flavors: Safe(FailSafe), Normal, Fast, Faster, Ultra or something to that effect. You might want to try slower memory settings like Safe or Normal if you're experiencing freezing.

One memory setting you should keep an eye on is: DRAM Command Rate. I recommend making sure that this is NOT set to 1T. It should be 2T or higher to insure system stability.

Not trying to be a smartass - just providing some more detail on a solution that apparently worked for someone.

Part of this is because those aggresive memory timings are essentially overclocking the RAM a little. And given that RAM as as much cooling built in as a solar furnace, and how heat tolerant silicon is, the resultant heat buildup will cause inconsitencies in even the best memory.

You might be able to get away with such fast memory settings if you had your RAM specially cooled, but I wouldn't bet too much on it.

Archived