Home

Raven: Are you even WORKING on a patch? (bump until someone answers)

ArtifeX

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tell LUCASARTS about this, not Raven.

Blizzard has a publisher too, Vivendi. But that doesn't stop them from supporting their customers so much. I'm not sure why Raven doesn't seem to care about us.

20,000 people? Twenty Thousand? Good one. And even if, by banning half of my customers online I sure make many friends.

That is ALOT less than half the people LOL. Also, some of the cheaters may have access to additional CD-Keys or something. I don't know about you, but I prefer playing in a cheat-free environment instead of the game being ruined by cheating.

Diablo II was really buggy when it came out

I can't recall having trouble with it. Even in the first week.

Raven releases a game that is almost bug-free.

You gotta be kidding me.

Blizzard has a publisher too, Vivendi. But that doesn't stop them from supporting their customers so much. I'm not sure why Raven doesn't seem to care about us.

Didn't you notice the various posts where people said that Raven WAS coming out with a patch, and where someone from Raven said that they have been 'busy.' Granted that's pretty vague, but it implies that there's something in the works...

The general idea was to have it be specifically stated by an employee. That's all we want to see, really. And having some guy say "I just got an e-mail from an employee from RavenSoft that a patch is underway" doesn't quite cut it for me.

Oh by the way, I just got an e-mail from some guy at Lucas Film LTD. that Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones has been cancelled. Seriously. Just look at the e-mail.

>From: "Freeman, Mike" <*****@starwars.com>

>To: 'Skyro' <Skyro@hotmail.com>

>Subject: RE: Attack of the Clones

>Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 11:13:43 -0500

>

>Yeah, cancelled.

>

>Michael Bert Freeman

>An extra: Episode II

>Lucas Film LTD

>http://www.starwars.com

:)

Originally posted by Skyro

The general idea was to have it be specifically stated by an employee. That's all we want to see, really. And having some guy say "I just got an e-mail from an employee from RavenSoft that a patch is underway" doesn't quite cut it for me.

Oh by the way, I just got an e-mail from some guy at Lucas Film LTD. that Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones has been cancelled. Seriously. Just look at the e-mail.

>From: "Freeman, Mike" <*****@starwars.com>

>To: 'Skyro' <Skyro@hotmail.com>

>Subject: RE: Attack of the Clones

>Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 11:13:43 -0500

>

>Yeah, cancelled.

>

>Michael Bert Freeman

>An extra: Episode II

>Lucas Film LTD

>http://www.starwars.com

:)

So if a dev writes you an e-mail and you want to share it, we should be certain not to believe you either. :rolleyes:

In regards to ongoing JO complaints:

Hey, why are you still debating this? After reading the various posts regarding a patch (or lack of one) for JO, I was quite disgusted. Most of you are long time posters, and you should all know better. Personally I think this particular thread should have been stopped in it's tracks after the original post.

Earlier this month when JKII was released, there was no end of praise on Raven's behalf. Now, after only a month into release, there seems to be a considerably larger amount of criticizm from respectable fans...what's the deal with that?

I don't mean this to be offensive, but quit while your ahead peeps...you love the game, but there are a few flaws that obviously need to be addressed. These bugs are NOT being ignored. Regardless of LEC's obvious history of limited involvement with it's fans (and I really don't know why they are like this, they just seem to handle this aspect with difficulty), LEC hired a team (Raven) which has clearly proven to be one of the most effective and community-involved gaming companies to date.

Unfortunately it seems to be a common occurance and problem with gaming fans, and though I'm not out to attack the entire gaming community, I am just a little annoyed that fan complaining is happening so quickly with this title. I too have had some dissapointments to deal with, but they are few, and my small list is easily outdone by the good stuff. The single player experience was delightful, but I'm still unhappy with certain aspects of the multiplayer game.

However, if you read review like I do, you know that this game has recieved more high praise then I have seen in a very long time, and over 90% of reviews give Jedi Outcast at least and 8 or 9 out of 10 score.

To cut to the point, Raven HAS in fact went the extra mile, and then some for Jedi Outcast fans. They have made an EXCELLENT Star Wars title, and this is something that has been a long time in coming, and I for one, would appreciate...but more importantly, I know that Raven would appreciate, if you would give them some much-earned patience, and the respect they are entitled to for their great effort, which is light years more then anything any of you could possibly achieve.

If you are such dedicated gaming fans, perhaps you have dreamed about becoming a game developer yourselves in the forseeable future. If you look at it from that standpoint, then take a moment to reflect on how the amount of effort involved in such games as JKII can be a huge workload for a dev team, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind, at the very least, productive criticizm as opposed to your unappreciative "so what's the big delay", "your not making us happy" and "gimme, gimme, gimme" comments.

That's all I have to say about that. Thanks.

Kyp.

Originally posted by Wicket the Ewok

No patch, no demo. WTF are Raven doing with their time?

Eating pizza, watching the Power Puff Girls no doubt and laughing at all the suckers who bought JO.

No, try "working on the patch and finishing SoF2". :p

Rack it!

Excellent post Kyp. Skyro, you can believe (or refuse to believe) whatever you want, but if you've been here a while, you'll have seen Mike G (ChangKhan) post plenty of times, hell look at his sidebar in the profile, 298 posts last time I looked. Raven has a presence on this board.

IMO, it's apparent to me, that some of the biggest GIMME A PATCH NOW people (let's just call them....Veruca Salt's ala the whiny brat in Willy Wonka), that all these Veruca Salt's probably don't have stressful jobs or careers. As an aerospace engineer, I know full well about insane deadlines, working on HOT items, especially those that have everybody and their mama coming up to you and asking "Is it done yet? Is it done yet?" every 5 minutes.

In case you didn't know or have never been in this situation, let me tell you from experience and common sense, every second you have to spend to answer one of these asinine questions, is a second not spent getting to the result that is desired. The angle taken is inevitably the same on asker's part. They assume that if it isn't done yet, it is either because you are not working on it or not working on it hard enough it, and the only way to get you to do either is to REMIND you that it's important and greatly desired.

The idea that the problem can't be solved in 5 minutes is foreign to them...and you know why?

Cuz in my vast experience in this situation along with experiences from others, the LOUDEST and most FREQUENT questions come from the ones who know the LEAST about what needs to be done, and even LESS about HOW to actually go about doing it. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I'm thankful at least in my job when I'm cranking away on a hot item, the people constantly asking me if its done yet every 5 minutes don't sort tacking messages up on a cork board outside my cube saying how much I suck for not answering every question they have in an effort to get what THEY actually want done! :)

TDS

(edit- 2nd draft ;) )

Originally posted by Dvlos

I can almost guarantee JK2:Exp Pack will have something to do with EP2.

What the hell? The EXPANSION to Jedi Knight 2, a game that takes place AFTER RETURN OF THE JEDI, will be about Episode 2? What kind of messed-up crack are you smoking?

Patches dont magicaly appear overnight you know:

First they must finalize a list of issues to be addressed (cannot be done before game is realeased) =lots of meetings

Decide on the best course of action to fix/tweak = MANY MANY more meetings

Dig through millions of lines of code to find what specific part is causing the problems - Being one who has dipped into coding a bit, this is the hardest part

Fix the code

Create a program that will replace the old files/code with the new ones

Make sure the patch dosent screw up peoples JK2

Finalize the Release Version of the Patch

Give the patch to publisher for approval

Submit the patch to Lucasarts.com web-heads

Wait for them to put it up

this dosent just HAPPEN people

the only reason other patches come out soon is because they only address bugs that were found post replication, pre-release, let alone fixing balance issues

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

RELAX. We've been busy.

;)

Thank you. That was All I asked for.

Please keep us posted on what's changing when you've got everything nailed down. I've got strat guides to keep up!

Originally posted by Kyp The Faith

Hey, why are you still debating this? After reading the various posts regarding a patch (or lack of one) for JO, I was quite disgusted. Most of you are long time posters, and you should all know better. Personally I think this particular thread should have been stopped in it's tracks after the original post.

Had that happened, we wouldn't have a post from ChangKhan telling us that "they've been busy". I don't think this thread is hurting anyone by just existing, either.

Earlier this month when JKII was released, there was no end of praise on Raven's behalf. Now, after only a month into release, there seems to be a considerably larger amount of criticizm from respectable fans...what's the deal with that?

If a game that is played competitively has balance issues, then expect criticism. JK2 has a serious lack of effective winning strategies. Currently, there are only a handful of successful tactics that heavily competitive players such as myself can employ. The breadth of those strategic options needs to be increased.

If we didn't criticize, then how would Raven know what to fix?

I don't mean this to be offensive, but quit while your ahead peeps...you love the game, but there are a few flaws that obviously need to be addressed. These bugs are NOT being ignored. Regardless of LEC's obvious history of limited involvement with it's fans (and I really don't know why they are like this, they just seem to handle this aspect with difficulty), LEC hired a team (Raven) which has clearly proven to be one of the most effective and community-involved gaming companies to date.

Unfortunately it seems to be a common occurance and problem with gaming fans, and though I'm not out to attack the entire gaming community, I am just a little annoyed that fan complaining is happening so quickly with this title. I too have had some dissapointments to deal with, but they are few, and my small list is easily outdone by the good stuff. The single player experience was delightful, but I'm still unhappy with certain aspects of the multiplayer game.

How long are we supposed to wait before we complain? 2 months? 3 months? A year? How would that effect the patch timeline?

However, if you read review like I do, you know that this game has recieved more high praise then I have seen in a very long time, and over 90% of reviews give Jedi Outcast at least and 8 or 9 out of 10 score.

To cut to the point, Raven HAS in fact went the extra mile, and then some for Jedi Outcast fans. They have made an EXCELLENT Star Wars title, and this is something that has been a long time in coming, and I for one, would appreciate...but more importantly, I know that Raven would appreciate, if you would give them some much-earned patience, and the respect they are entitled to for their great effort, which is light years more then anything any of you could possibly achieve.

I agree that JK2 is the best Star Wars PC title ever released, but it's not perfect; nor will it ever be. I just love the game enough to spend my time and effort posting what I think are legitimate concerns here where they can be seen, and writing (for days and days) strategy guides that I hope will prolong the interest of the game and bolster the community:

http://antisabercode.50megs.com/

If you are such dedicated gaming fans, perhaps you have dreamed about becoming a game developer yourselves in the forseeable future. If you look at it from that standpoint, then take a moment to reflect on how the amount of effort involved in such games as JKII can be a huge workload for a dev team, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind, at the very least, productive criticizm as opposed to your unappreciative "so what's the big delay", "your not making us happy" and "gimme, gimme, gimme" comments.

That's all I have to say about that. Thanks.

Kyp.

All I asked for was confirmation that there was a patch in the works. I got it. I'm satisfied. For now.

Remember, Raven works for US! I paid them $50 to do a job and I just wanted word that that job was being done.

IMHO Raven did a Kick A job with JO. I haven't found any bugs yet and don't see the need for a patch. However, if they're working on making a great game even better, I applaud them. For now though I'll enjoy what I spent my money on with little or no complaints. Keep up the good work Raven. JO is the best game I've played since Half-Life! I look forward to your next title...

Originally posted by Kyp The Faith

eehh

long time posters? I look edat this page of the thread and I'm the only long time poster.

The first days the game was prasied, because the old time posters were getting the game and posting. Now only a few old posters are still here, most of the old people is only playing, and not posting here :) .

90% or more of the actual posters (and about 99% of the whiners) are new members, lots of them registered only to whine.

Originally posted by Jedi-Bert

speaking of half life, wouldnt it be cool if you could merge JO's gameplay with HL's atmosphere (especialy the earlier levels, it scared the crap outta me at times!)?

heres an idea for you editing-type people^

Actually I'd rather see 'a good FPS' merged with Deus Ex style with coop abilities.

In spite of what's been said here, I'd still like to see something more than a "we're busy" or a "hey, I just got an email from Mark Hammil himself saying that a patch is already underway."

I'm looking for something along the lines of "We're working on a patch," "We're busy... with making the patch," or "Expect a patch sometime this decade." Almost anything containing the word "patch" would be great, and would get me to shut up.

I'm not ungrateful for what they've done already. I'm asking that they publicly announce (unofficially, if need be) the very existence of a patch in development. Too much to ask of them? I wouldn't think so.

I'm going to try to think of a way to end this post with a happy, positive outlook on the situation, and where even if nothing I ask for comes to pass, I wouldn't be sad or dissappointed in the least.

... I can't think of how to say that in a clever way, so that'll have to suffice.

They just said today that THE PATCH WILL BE OUT VERY VERY SOON!

Biggest change mentined...............................................

Heavy is being Tweaked to deal with all the ONE HIT SPAM!

Thank You Raven.

This should end the One Hit debate.

Skyro -

Raven has said unofficially that they are working on a patch, through posts on this board, and emails in response to individual requests. What form would you like to see it in? I'm wondering if the only form of communication you'd accept as real is a certified letter hand delivered ;)

Maybe all those who have gotten emails from raven can post them on a website instead of cutting and pasting. But in the end you can't trust anything you see on the net. Someone could hack into Raven's website and say they are working on a patch.

Skyro - you have my word as a fellow virtual jedi and gamer that Raven is most definitely working on a patch, and if in fact they aren't, I will retire from JK2 and gaming FOREVER. You have my solemn promise :)

TDS

P.S. Here's the clever thing you were trying to say....."even if this game is never patched, it has provided me with entertainment of such variety that I had never seen before...tis better to have played and lost, then to have never played at all " :D

Archived