Home

milkshape solution+question

[OKD]Mangopork

First of all, i am an amateur modeller so far but im getting into the swing of things pretty quickly. So please dont newbie bash me.

Would it be possible to export a model+animations from milkshape into one of its other file formats (say, ascii) and then use another program to export/convert THAT into a format readable by JK2? .:confused:

If so then that would make things a lot easier for us Milkshape 3D users.

Also, in modelling terms of course, what is meant by LOD? What is it and what does it mean? I have heard that 4 LODs' must be made for JK2 so any explanations would be great, thanks.

LOD is short for level of detail.

as for Milkshape file formats... i'm interested in it as well, because i'm modelling with milkshape too.

i think it could be possible, but don't know for sure because i didn't try yet.

Originally posted by [OKD]Mangopork

First of all, i am an amateur modeller so far but im getting into the swing of things pretty quickly. So please dont newbie bash me.

Would it be possible to export a model+animations from milkshape into one of its other file formats (say, ascii) and then use another program to export/convert THAT into a format readable by JK2?

Certainly.

1. Build Model

2. Goto Tools\Quake III Arena\ Generate Control File.

3. Goto File\Export\Quake III Arena MD3.

4. Load up I think md3view and it should let you convert your md3 into .glm, which is the correct JK2 format.

That should be just about it. ;)

Originally posted by L2.0

Certainly.

1. Build Model

2. Goto Tools\Quake III Arena\ Generate Control File.

3. Goto File\Export\Quake III Arena MD3.

4. Load up I think md3view and it should let you convert your md3 into .glm, which is the correct JK2 format.

That should be just about it. ;)

SWEET! Thanks.

Originally posted by VEGETA2K1

but u cant make your own animations.. or even weigh vetrtexes to the bone structure..

Why not? And why do i have to "weigh vertices to the bone structure"?

I mean, if i make a model and animate it in milkshape (news flash, milkshape DOES have a skeletal animation system, :D ), and then just convert the files, why would it not work?

Simple: Because nothing is easy. :D

As for LODs, you need 3. One is the model at full detail. The other two are optimized versions of the mesh, each with fewer polygons/verts than the previous ones.

I don't bash n00bs, I bash lazy people. There's a difference. :D

well to start with - you need to export your model as xsi - exporting and converting it to glm via the md3 root is a dea end. Thats only for weapon models - it has no skeletan suport let alone animation of any kind. You might be able to build the model in milkshape - but I think you'll find you need someone to help you get it in game.

there are programs out there that can convert to xsi, and Deep Exploration is one of them. Make sure your model is set up with full LOD's and all the tags are right (the right heirarchy, endcaps, etc...) then load up Dexp and convert it. I am sure it is not that easy, but it can be done. As for me trying to myself. I loaded up one of the xsi that came with the tools, and then edited it to have certain parts turned on. Alas it gave me an error in assimilate.exe because of some file setting in the file "cubic scale" not sure what to do to fix this, but i will post again when i do figure it out. This seems to be the only setting stopping me from getting this to work =)

Originally posted by [OKD]Mangopork

Why not? And why do i have to "weigh vertices to the bone structure"?

I mean, if i make a model and animate it in milkshape (news flash, milkshape DOES have a skeletal animation system, :D ), and then just convert the files, why would it not work?

well one of the reasons would be you would ahve to make. .well over 1000 frames of animation, secondly, the bone system is differnet(i am prety sure of this), secondly you do not know how to set up the naimatiosn for raven as they havnt relased info on this (frame names, how many frames allowed for eahc movement, what movements, other stuff like this)

so its almost imposible to get a milkshape modelinto jk2, unless you know some1 with max willing to help, and what i meant by weighing certexes to bones, is assigning the vertexes to certaion bones, like you would do in milkshape....

sorry, but your model wont be going in game any time soon.

Archived