Home

THAT'S my server? A bunch of TEXT?

Reelo

Howdy All

How do you create a server that you can actually PARTICIPATE IN?! I mean, come on. That window with the black bg and the yellow text comes up, and that's it?????

I think I'm doing something wrong.

Can someone please help me?

-Reelo

No. When you host a game in multi player which is not dediceted - trust me IT IS STILL MULTIPLAYER, you are online playing the very moment you step in the game. If you give a friend your IP adress he will be able to join your game ONLINE yes I repeat ONLINE and play with you.

dun dun dun - I heard about something that you could even join your own Dedicated server... but myself personally, not sure.

Cheers ;)

afaik

dedicated 1 = a server on your computer for local LAN play (or play on your pc)

dedicated 2 = a server which reports to the master server, ie. public

To join either of these servers, launch a multiplayer game and type connect 127.0.0.1

I thought I might add some input here.

First BTW, your server IS REALLY JUST TEXT! LOL!

There are 2 server types, Ingame and Dedicated. From what I gather you are trying to join a Dedicated game, correct? You can join your dedicated game by launching another game session and joining the local game, however, you may need to change the UPD port that the game is hosted on. For example, most Quake3 based games use port 27960 (stvef) or somewhere there abouts. When you launch your Dedicated server make it something other than your game settings, ie 27800 then launch your game and join the local dedicated game. For much more information on hosting check out GameAdminsCom or http://www.gameadmins.com/guides/jk2/jk2basicsetup.htm

I wrote the UnrealTournament setup guide there btw.

Hawkeye :lsduel:

ok.

Make a shortcut (you know how to do that? :) ) to the jk2mp.exe file. Right click the shortcut and go down to properties.

in the "Target" box where it says

d:\jedi\GameData\jk2mp.exe

(of course the path may be different for you)

make it say this, and make sure you use the quotes " "

"d:\jedi\GameData\jk2mp.exe" +set dedicated 2

now, rename this shortcut to jk2server

Ok. Make a new shortcut to jk2mp.exe

make it say

"d:\jedi\GameData\jk2mp.exe" +connect 127.0.0.1

If you are on a LAN, and this is important, use the first (if there's 2, which there should be for online play I think) IP address which appears in your black and yellow console.

rename that shortcut to jk2client

You can type commands, such as

map ffa_bespin

in the dedicated server's console.

If that doesn't get you going nothing will!! :)

edit-

obviously you launch the server, then the client :p

All's you have to do is launch ur "Internet" dedicated server from inside the JK2 game, when it kicks u to the console window, restart JK2 and go to Join Server, click Local and it should show up..

You can do console cmds for the server by setting the Rconpassword at the Dedicated window, and matching it with your in-game rconpassword

example:

from the dedicated MP window (black background, yellow text), type "rconpassword JK2". now go into the game and join the server. from the ingame console type "rconpassword jk2"

now u can type "rcon <CMD>" and perform an admin function..

Sorry if you guys are talking about something completely different but thats what it seems like hes asking.

Yes.

Aside from that. I have just done exactly this:

started jk2mp

gone to create a server

chosen Dedicated: Internet

Created the server

Browsed a fair way up through the console spam to find my local and internet ip

Started a NEW game of jk2mp

Typed into the console

connect 63.12.7.191:28070

You could try this now and probably join my server :)

I think what isn't being made clear here is that a non-dedicated MP server DOES work over the internet, but due to the way it was designed (to reduce the load on the master servers), it does NOT show up on the main lists (in other words, it does not communicate with the master servers)

The solutions being posted here are twofold:

1) Find out your IP address and give it to your friends before you begin playing. They should then join your (non-dedicated) game by connecting directly to your IP. Ifno on how to do that was mentioned above (jk2mp.exe -connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx?)

2) Start a dedicated server on your machine. Once that is up and running your friends will be able to both see and join it. To play yourself you can run a second instance of JK2, and join the dedicated server running in the background on your machine. I personally don't recommend it as I do not know what performance issues the players will get (piss poor pings for instance).

Hope that clears things up some.

Archived