Home

Skinning tips n tricks...?

WarteX

It seems so easy for every1 to make a skin. ive made a cople of simple textures and ive tried to make a skin but it just looks so damn ugly, so i just wounder wot u skinners use for kina techniques?

there is no general answer to this that could help you.

it's the best to rty out what you can get and use what you find suitable for you.

there are so damn ****loads of techniques out there... visit other forums like polycount.com messageboards etc... to see other people's work, maybe one r two tutorials...

there are people who like to make a b/w version of their skin and color it via a separate layer. on the other hand, you could actually start skinning in full color. you can use texture overlays or paint everything by hand. you can use hard edged brushes or soft edged ones, you can dodge and burn or paint with airbrush, you can use filters or leave it, you can smudge the hell out of your pixels or just paint them the way you want them.

i myself use mainly photoshop's airbrush set to hard light. this needs a lot of understanding what hard light does and a bit of practise. but in the end, it's a very good method as you can paint everything and have damn more control over your colors than with ****ty dodge/burn.

it's all a matter of taste and preference.

Well... Gekitsu pretty much summed it all up there. I myself start out in B&W and color later (except for flesh). Basically the best advice I can give you is to Become familiar with your Lighten RGB and Darken RGB brushes. Also Dont be afraid of Raven's SDK!! They have a nice Model viewer that can save you TONS of time by simply looking at your skin there. And when you change something, you can just hit the texture refresh button.

Good Luck on future skinning!

-LF

Archived