Home

Force Feedback Saber in production...

jtbullet

Anybody interested?

Features:

Moving the saber tracks mouse motion.

Configurable force power buttons on the hilt.

Rotating top half controls rotation of body spin.

On/Off button.

Force feedback transducer.

Speaker.

USB Interface.

just a question.. will this be like.. a joy stick? and wil lit lok like a light saber? how exactly wil lthis work? i think it would be cool to ahve some sorta mption senceor, and a long cable.. so u actual swing for attack.. and buttons on the side.. but im thinking way to furutre istic hehe..

but for now a daws, is it like a saber handled joy stick? and how much will thois cost.. and maybe some of us can "beta" test it? ^_^ and is it meant to only be for jk2?

Guest seantree

man, i thought about that the other day. it would add so much to the saber battles. too bad the game isn't made to convey your actual movements to the screen, like some sort of motion capture interface. NOW that is pod racing!

It wouldnt work, AT all, for all the things you want it would be too big, and the characters can only swing in certain directions, it would become easier with the keyboard, and you'd look like a complete retard, holding a big clunky saber in 1 hand, and moving your character with the keyboard in the other.

And the fact that LucasArts would have to make it, for copyright reasons.

No this isn't a replacement for the mouse, if you are thinking of a big saber shaped mouse.

What it is is a lightsaber shaped device, held in mid air, that can position the cursor, like the mouse can. A switch system causes the attack button to be activated when the device is swung, or you can assign one of the auxiliary buttons to the attack so you dont have to swing it. There are several designs being worked out, and we are exploring the force feedback information that may or may not be embedded into the game.

This device will be hard to master. Part of the point. This is not a lightsaber simulator,but a sword simulator. Lucasarts has no part of the copyright on this one. Their game will simply be a great test bed for the device. Hopefully, some of the real mod builders will get on board with this one to incorporate higher level support into the game:

New animations for more realistic saber control- The device will actually have an 8 direction sensor in the hilt to determine swing direction. This function will be useless until someone utilizes it.

Want akimbo style 2 saber action? Write a mod for it!

You will see production images soon.

No this isn't a replacement for the mouse, if you are thinking of a big saber shaped mouse.

What it is is a lightsaber shaped device, held in mid air, that can position the cursor, like the mouse can

thats what i meant...

Want akimbo style 2 saber action? Write a mod for it!

so how do we walk when both hands are required for the sabers?

The dual saber wouldn't be ready until the single version was nailed down. That said, we are working on a unique footpedal system to control movement. This is in Phase II. Phase I is perfecting the mouse control saber, and force control and movement buttons.

There will probably be a d-pad or something similar to provide movement for some one without a foot pedal. We are building a prototype now. We have to build it to see what the design problems are going to be :)

It is going to be great fun, and in the end will give us something that will bring JK:2 to a new level, and hopefully we can find people who will code for such a device. This idea is born of a childhood dream. I think there are others who wanted to do the same thing. None of us could ever hope to use a real lightsaber, even if it was real. We'd cut our arms off :) Yes, you will probably look stupid using this device. But when the software and hardware converge, you wont care any more.

A note on design...

These won't be the kind of sabers you see sold as replicas.

Those are usually made of graflex and heil flash handles. Usually those replicas cost between 100 and 500 dollars. This is way too much money for a device that will be usable in more than just jedi games, and is attempting to avoid copyright issues. I dont want to get rich off of this. I just want someone to build a game capable of utilizing it, and I'd like to continue the development process. I am researching gyroscopic controls now, as a way to simulate actual saber direction. I have plans for a rudimentary control system that would allow you to swing in a certain direction, but it isn't precise enough. We will see. I am waiting for certain light emitters now, as well as the control system for reading it by a monitor. This wont be easy, but it will be worth it.

Spam your favorite software companies and demand they assist us :) Just kidding.

Website up this week.

It will be interesting to see how someone will fight with the saber against other people. It would be great to be able to set up "saber controller" only servers. People are so used to the WASD + Mouse, that it will take some getting used to. But when the software an fully utilize the device, the level of control will be great.

it sounds (again) like it would be 100% easier to just use the mouse and keyboard, and that way it doesnt cost anyone anything. PLUS, unless you work for LucasArts and its approved by LucasArts theres no way in hell you'll sell that thing.

Why would you want software companies to support you?

people are already getting too worked up over this.

It woudlbe easier to use mouse+keyboard.. but if it has a foor pedle, and movement buttons on the hlt(sp?) and stuff... i think it oculd work just fine.. and besides i'd rather play with a real saber then a keyboard mouse.. and about the legaL issues, he already pointed thag out.. and he cant get introuble for making a sowrd now can he, all he has to do si change the looks of it not to look to much liek a light saber. and make the buttons of force powers custoizable, so that way he cant get in any trouble.. i was planing on going to buy a 6+buttond mouse.. but if this is a sucess and u actually get to amke a few.. i'll buy this instead (if its not too much in canadian dollars..) also wil lthis be wireless? nd when you have a "beta" done, coudl u show pictures of what it loks like? and how mzny buttons+functions are planned? and the movement, wil lbe done with foot pedel? and is this foot pedel come with it or an extra accesory?

I could care less about a negative post! Everyone pretend there are no negative posts and they will go away.

Seriously, I am going to pillage parts this weekend.

This is not a big trick to make this work. Just time and patience.

This will probably be a build to order project, until a hardware mfg. gets on board. I have to pay for my mortgage and for my wife to eat :)

No rocket science here:

Wireless will be a problem. Wait on that one.

I-paq (used for MAME cabinets) keyboard mapping device will map the buttons to whatever controls you want. A light gun will be pillaged to get the receiver/transmitter parts. A simple footpedal, we will provide plans for everything, will allow forward/backward and left/right movement, jumping on the stick, attack on the stick, right mouse on the stick, and probably 4 more keys o the stick.

sounds exclant.. iuf u need beta testers ask me haha,

any ways, would be beter with more butons on it.. one for every force at least.. that way it cold work for other games as well. .that requre more buttons for other things..

Archived