Home

Raven, a great idea to help mappers

Zealot888

After finishing the SP game (I'm mostly a mp type of person), I am convinced that nothing but good things would result from Raven releasing the .map files of their levels. As a mapper I could learn so easily how they did things, without having to pester the forums, or wait months for some one else who figured it out to write a tutorial.

There are also some very well done little prefabs. A fine example of this is their tie fighter or x-wing. The tie fighter looks outstanding. Even if I spent a long amount of time, my tie still wouldn't look nearly as detailed and crisp as the ties we saw in the single player levels.

I plead the case that the entire editing community would flourish from Raven releasing the .map files to their levels. We could all learn how to map at a much faster rate, and we would be able to put out better quality maps.

Yeah the tie fighters looked too good to be a prefab.

Oh and what's EF mean? I want to learn how to make all that realistic looking blow in the wind grass/plants. Are those cool looking plants models too?

I just think that if they're going to release the source code, I don't see the harm in releasing the .map's. It's a complement that all future mappers would be using their maps as refrences. The only way anything like this would be released is if people started to request it.

EF= Star Trek Voyager - Elite Force, Raven's last game. ;)

Those plants are actually new shaders. You can read about them in a doc that came with the GDK. I forgot the name of it, but it's in your 'Tools' folder.

And it took forever to get Raven to release the EF .maps... Don't expect it to happen for JK2 any time soon. :(

Archived