Home

A message to Raven regarding their latest patch

dev-logan

what i have noticed throughout my extensive cycle of playing jk2 is that raven from the get go has tried to reward people for doing the least in a game.

my prime example being that someone standing still clueless as to what is going on has the ability to push pull and just toss me around despite my using superior movement tactics. it makes push and pull too strong a weapon for people that dont have the ability to move and use force or a gun or a saber at the same time. that just is not fair to the dedicated gamer that spends time getting good at the game

onto weapons. despite the fact that raven did not come up with a unique weapon they chose instead to pick one of the worst combinations of UT and q3 and cs weapons that I could have foreseen. there is the lack of any type of usefull explosive weapon because you only get 3 shots with the rocket launcher. unless you want to count the flakk cannon OH WAIT I MEAN THE GOLAN. but even now they make it worse for the competitive gamer becuase they are successfully removing guns as a viable option and hence making it a saber extensive game. which would be fine in duels where sabers are the almost only weapon available in most duel maps but instead it affects every other aspect of the game.

I dont really blame raven for "listening to the community" its not really ravens fault that the community they chose to listen to play only sabers and complain about the use of guns in public servers. but i wish right now to extend my hand to raven if they choose to accept it, to give them my input - that of one of the top competitive gamers currently playing this game to help smooth out the obvious wrong turn that has been taken. i dont wish to change the game completely i just wish raven had listened to people that actually use other weapons than the saber when deciding what to tweak/tone down for weapons.

I can be found on irc.enterthegame.com in the channel #dsbr

Or if there is an email address that I could use to contact anyone from raven interested in hearing the views and ideas from someone in the competitive scene.

If anyone decides to respond on this thread I just ask that you do it in a civil manner without personal attacks so that this thread does not also get closed.

Now, I don't claim to be 'elite' but I'm a decent saberist. I'm responding to this particular thread because you've asked for no flames and I hope to see the same. :) The main thread has resorted to a lot of name calling.

Whether you like it or not, SW has a huge following, just as all sci-fi/fantasy genres do, and with that a certain amount of 'weirdo'ness. 'Weirdo'ness (I'm not going to say geek, that touches a sore spot on a lot of people :) ) generally includes, computer use and gaming, so inevitably you are going to have a HUGE community for a game based on a universe that everyone likes, whether it lasts for a couple of months or years to come.

So what seperates SW from the other games out there? The saber and force powers, and given the amount of posts on this forum, sabers are the majority of the talk. So Raven (ChangKhan) visits the boards and makes changes to the game based on what he sees.

I am a player on TWL as well, but I am only in saber duels, so I can't speak on experience of guns, BUT I can speak on experience of how the 'elite' clans are approaching this. If what you say is true, I agree with you, guns should be seriously looked at in regards to this latest patch. Get together with your fellow adversaries and present your case to Raven, but do it maturely and professionally and do it in a public forum where you are seen or with them directly. I read in one of your posts that you had never posted here before the patch (at least I think it was you).

Also, don't blame anyone for this patch... Raven can't visit every fan board for this game and they went with what community they saw from the boards they visited. The majority of the posts they saw WERE saber based and they made their decisions on that. This is their FIRST patch, and given Raven's history, they have been good about updating their games, so give them time.

Good luck to you, hope things get fixed for you gun users.

Archived