Home

Even if you don't like the patch, don't insult Raven

Chiori

Raven did hard work creating the game and the patch. They actually listened to their gamers and created teh patch how we told them. We wanted the mp sabers to be like the sp sabers no? We wanted that the DFA should change. We wanted less variety on the same move (like hitting left in three different ways).

They listened to their customers and even if you don't like the patch, insulting them for their hard work is just disgusting.

If you don't like the patch why don't you say that politely?

(And not like "hey you ****ing *******s removeda patch or u die!" etc)

Chiori

ps

I appreciated their work even if I can't say if I like or dislike the patch (have to play more first)

Amen and right on. Its not Raven's fault that the newbie whiners account for the vast majority. Its a fact that game companies [generally] must listen to the group that whines the loudest and those are the skilless newbies who haven't even tried to get any skill.

I blame people like NewBJedi for this disgusting patch.

Dont blame Raven, its these f*** that did it.

The saber throw thing happens to me too, only it's whenever I either sheathe my saber or use force power, which is incredibly irritating. The force heal thing I understand, maybe not the absorb, but the saber tweaking I find kills the gameplay. I know people are going to disagree with me here, but just let me get my side out.

The saber combat in this game from the start was amazing for me, one of those "minute to learn, lifetime to master" things. It was frustrating at first, but if you sit down and play for a while, you eventually see the flow to it all. It gets to the point where it's not about exploiting a glitch, or knowing the moves, but about understanding your opponents movements and using them against him/her. Not unlike real sword-fighting. But by changing the speed and dynamic of all the attacks, it seems so far, that they have removed the finesse of the game. The light and medium stances are recoculous (yes that's a real word) now. I don't think it should be about spamming your opponent with as many swings as possible like a cane toad on PCP. It shouldn't be as clumsy or random as a blaster. I also find the auto-blocking to be entirely too good now, it seems like you don't have to even work for the block by moving your saber between you and the attack. It just happens. And I miss the one-shot kills, no offence, but it's a concentrated beam of energy, it should kill you with one hard swing. IMHO, so far this patch looks like it caters to the "headless-chicken" crowd.

I DO like the tweaked saber-clash.

This is getting annoying, there's about a hundred identical posts in the Valley.. either insulting Raven for the patch changes, or insulting the people complaining about the changes and telling them to just shut up, etc.

I am all for constructive criticism and honest debate. It seems too many people feel threatened by different opinions and would rather attack and insult than simply point out differences and give logical reasons why their ideas might be better.

Anyhow, it will die down eventually, hopefully this won't change Raven's mind about future patches. I see it less as them "giving in" to the "nagging" of "whiners" than changing things they wanted to change. Honestly, they have it in their power to do what they want with their game, whether it please the fans or not.

Now I know what the CounterStrike people were complaining about with their community (and how people would raise hell about every minute change in every new patch that came out).

Raven still has time to change things if they so choose, let's see what happens. Let's by no means stop the feedback, let's just try to keep it constructive. Okay?

Although for the most part, and so far, I think the patch is great, there's one thing I noticed that popped up only after I got the patch. Whenever I come back from the real world and start the game, all of my joystick control settings are off and I have to reset them. Also, whenever I do, it shows my primary button (i.e. the trigger button) as Joy 0, and the second one Joy 1, etc. That I can live with, but resetting my joystick settings, as I have to do in MP all the time, is irritating. Has anyone else had this problem?

As long as I'm on the subject of the joystick, I have a question. My joystick has a throttle, with, according to the manual, 60 degrees of throw. With this throttle, I was wondering if I could bind or set something to it, like lightsaber styles: the top would be the Strong style, middle the Medium style, and bottom the Fast style.

My thoughts:

Heal/Drain Nerfs: Yay, these things were overpowered and made fights last too long. EXCEPT: Saber throw is now overpowered and luck comes into issue more. Saber throw is 30 points of damage now that is VERY hard to heal without using loads of force. Also, a lucky swing by an opponent now means a lot more. Before, you could re-heal and get back in, while against a skilled opponenet, you would get nailed before you could heal. Also, lightning is ridiculous now. You can run into a crowd and do lightning and theres no counter other than running (often they just follow) because heal was the previous counter (or drain).

Heavy Nerfs: Oh god no, this is dumb as hell. Heavy was a staple move, it was fair that it was one hit because it was simple to dodge, had a ton of counters, and you had to predict the enemy's movements. Now, its all but worthless. With easy blocking it takes a LOT of thought and luck to get a hit in and considering how fast people move in JK2 combined with how little damage heavy does now, there just isnt enough time or merit to that. I am HOWEVER extremely happy they got rid of the DFA move. That thing was silly.

Medium/Light: Gee now these things are spam cannons. With the new blocking also brings back a lot of lag problems from JK where it looks like you hit on one computer but not on the other. This causes a lot of deception and was a nasty problem in JK. This can be very confusing in figuring out the opponent's HP etc. Also, there is a lot more luck involved because there are areas on the body that will sometimes be blocked but not always, etc.

New Maps: New maps are always good.

Overall: They fixed some good things but destroyed way too many things.

As to the people insisting we just relearn etc.: First of all, I think this messed up the game more than just relearning because as someone else said this takes away the finesse but how about this:

I played this game since release like many people here and why the hell should all the skills I developed be in vain?

Originally posted by Cow_JK:O

Amen and right on. Its not Raven's fault that the newbie whiners account for the vast majority. Its a fact that game companies [generally] must listen to the group that whines the loudest and those are the skilless newbies who haven't even tried to get any skill.

I blame people like NewBJedi for this disgusting patch.

Dont blame Raven, its these f*** that did it.

Blame me? Why?

Read all my posts - where did I ever even ask for a patch?

Did you even read my Whiner's Guide - which was telling people to stop complaining?

Sheesh.

Since I have such all-encompassing responsibility over the patch - maybe I should convince Raven to hire me. :p

Archived