Home

patch 1.03 (not a flame thread, so dont treat it as one)

tam

Yes you are right, I should have pointed to it in the first place, It wasn't my intention to be smart alecky about it. There was the posibility that something had been stated somewhere else, and I didn't want to corrupt that as a source by explaining what had already been discussed

The fact remains that you will only read the lines :

The use of this update is pursuant to the Software License.

All Multiplayer users must use Jedi Outcast version 1.03.

if you install the patch. Therefore it can't be mandatory simply because there may be many users who never know the patch even exists, whether or not they wish to install it ( especially think of users who are new to gaming, I know of a couple of guys who are still running the original release version of halflife, they only network it between two home computers and never have had the inclination to update).

Again if you have installed the patch then only 1.03 users can connect to you if you are hosting multiplayer, and this is what this line is referring to. Even if you have installed the patch and then reverted to 1.02 ( although this scenario only works 100% if you do it by deleting the entire jk2 directory and reinstalled from scratch ) then the file that contains this line is gone and you should no longer be bound to it.

Raven cannot force you to install the patch, therefore they cannot force you to be bound to that one line.

The main reason I've wanted to try and sort this out is simply because I feel that Raven has been getting enough bad press ( and maybe some of it is deserved - the jury's still out on that one ) but I do not believe they deserve having a reputation of forcing their consumers to do things that may be legally questionable.

I don't know...Raven's heart seems to be in the right place--they have definitely gone all out on customer support in this patch, it's just that they went a little too far, and made a few too many crowd pleasing decisions and wound up hurting the people that were utterly comfortable with the game.

Like most people I was a little unhappy with the hit detection scheme, specifically in the finisher moves, but beyond that I was fairly satisfied with the game. Then Raven dumps the game on its head in ONE patch?? This makes very little sense from any standpoint, and I think it's clear that it was overzealous. I was VERY satisfied with the pre-patch, but understood that a large chunk of people were unhappy with the state of the game.

When they changed the game around essentially as much as they could have, they gave credence only to those who were dissatisfied, and left those who were satisfied dissatisfied. They basically switched the people who were complaining lol. This is why you see those posts about how 'everyone is still complaining, even though they got what they wanted'

Not true, I didn't get what I wanted, and I wasn't really complaining very much, and now I am. Why? Because I am a dissatisfied customer, I do not like the product as it is, and especially now that Raven has shown that they are willing to bend over backwards to try to please their customers, my feelings that I should be appeased are not exactly unreasonable.

In any case, whatever their intentions the statement was fairly stringent, and any misconceptions on my or any other persons part as to their intentions are not particularly illogical.

Also, I'm glad you weren't being a smart a$$ :)

I can understand your points completely. I also understand most of the other posts it's just a shame that more people are not as articulate.

Without turning this into another 1.02 vs 1.03 thread I'd just like to say I'll be very interested to see what comes next.

atleast we know raven's intentions were good when making the patch, they made it from listening to complaints, so whatevers wrong with it comes from those complaints.

plz guys can u just discuss my idea as this is what the topic was about.

atleast we know raven's intentions were good when making the patch, they made it from listening to complaints, so whatevers wrong with it comes from those complaints.

plz guys can u just discuss my idea as this is what the topic was about.

I think we've done that to death...what else is there to discuss about it?

Archived